Monday, July 22, 2019

Yopping Undate #3 - There's no place like home

I am back!   A day late, and more than a few dollars short, but more about that later. 

I was able to crochet about 1/2 of a produce bag last week while busy teaching as my days were taken up at the school from 7:30 -5:00 each day.  I did get to the pool twice in the evening and had a lovely dinner with an old friend one night as well.  So really that only left me two evenings to craft.

The teaching went very well (the evaluations were stellar) and on Friday I headed up island to visit FitznStarts and her wife.   They treated me like royalty, and I left them with three produce bags - two I made while visiting with them, and the third I had made a couple of weeks ago. 

I then head further up island to visit my brother and his significant other in their new house.  We had a great visit which also included a mini hike up to Elk Falls.  The falls were spectacular.




I woke up this morning with a SEVERE case of homesickness so decided to pack up and head for the ferry.  The ferries were in turmoil when I arrived as the early morning ferry had been cancelled, and then not cancelled, so when I got to the ferry cars were waiting for two ferries that hadn't loaded yet.  I was in a line-up outside the ferry terminal and I had to PEE!.  I know, too much information. 

Anyways, once the two ferries unloaded and they loaded the first ferry I finally was allowed into the terminal with the caution that I would possibly miss the 11 which was just loading.  I put my prayers in to God, and lo and behold I was one of the cars in the last lineup they loaded.  Phew. 

I was headachey and hungry and still a bit weepy from homesickness, but a lettuce-wrapped burger, poutine and a coke cheered me up a little. (So did the pee - again tmi). Then some back and forth exchanges with my wise daughter helped get me up onto the deck, sitting in the sun with the wind in my hair.  I finished another produce bag by the time the ferry was docked and we were ready to unload. 

I was home and in my dh's arms by 1:30pm.  There's no place like home. 

Unpacked, a little laundry, and a call to the insurance company done and it is only 4pm.

Insurance company you say.  Well, yes. 

As I pulled into my brother's driveway he asked what I had done to the front bumper of my car.

I thought he was referring to a rubber scrape I had incurred a few weeks ago.  But no.  This was what I saw.
So someone on the island has some serious karma (car-ma) issues for not leaving a note on my car.  This means I will be out my deductible, but the claim won't affect my rates.  Which is good because the rates already have risen for everyone in my province partly due to hit and run claims like this one will be.  I was so bummed about this last night, which probably didn't help my homesickness.  So my teaching week will cost me 300 bucks - which is a quarter of what I made. Sigh. Life is a b#%ch sometimes.

On a happier note I believe I am feeling some improvement in my arm.  It is small, but it is noticeable and I think the new night time medication is helping.

On the down side (what a Libra I am), my right hip is very, very sore and stiff when I walk, and while I was teaching I had to sit down more than stand because my back was really sore. 

Ah, ain't old age grand?

Old age?  I am only 63 (ok, almost 64), and I plan to live to 100, so 63 is really middle age.  Right?

Right. 

So there is my third week done and done.   Summer seems to finally be here - so I am heading out to have a cool drink on my porch.  Maybe the hummingbirds will come and join me. 

To follow other yoppers (if you are a Ravelry member) check out their posts here.






5 comments:

  1. Those falls are fantastic. Sounds like like you had an enjoyable time on the island but you are correct.....there is no place home. Hiw kind of you to give the produce bags to your friends. The car boo boo is a real bummer. Why can't people just he honest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your attitude about growing old. The goal is 100, eh? You're just a young whippersnapper! Glad you got home to relieve your homesickness. So sorry to see your car scrape. How discouraging. But what a beautiful area you're living in this summer (if I understand correctly). The falls look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s so mean that someone did that to your car and didn’t leave a note. I find as I’m getting older I get more homesick, I’m so happy at home with my husband and dog and crafting opportunities in every room. The falls look very powerful. I really do need to make some produce bags...so many projects so little time. Keep doing what your doing that is making your arm feeling better. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound as though a wonderful time has been had! Sorry about the bumper and the homesickness, but otherwise it must have been lovely. Glad he arm is feeling a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a busy week! It's wonderful that you had a mix of work and play. Thank goodness you had your teaching job to cover the damage to your car and when it all feels a bit much, you know what to do - go home and spend time with family and friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.