Sunday, July 28, 2019

Yopping Update #4 - It's the little things


This week it is all about the little things.

The week started off with this water bottle holder:

and then I had just enough blue cotton left for one more wee produce bag:


Since little things seemed to be the order of the week I decided to get started on those advent knits.

I had 37 gms of sparkley, multi-coloured home spun that I had received as a gift a couple of years ago at one of our knit night christmas parties.   So here is what became of 31 gms of it:


I love how the colours naturally changed from his legs to his body and then to his hat.  (I used something else for his little head).

I started looking at my advent knit list and my eyes fell on this advent calendar.  The instructions are all in Norwegian so thanks to my trusty friend google translate I was able to get this done:


and then this:

this:

this one is a little bigger cause of using sport weight yarn - I might re-do it at some point with fingering.  
and last night this when I couldn't figure out the instructions to the tank I wanted to start (see below):


Only 20 more to go?  They will make a nice advent calendar, just big enough for a colourful stone, or chestnut, or chocolate I think.

I perused my queue for other advent knits and found the pattern for stjarna.  It starts out very complicated with me casting on to two sets of circulars,  then transferring the top half of the cast on to dpns, and leaving the bottom half to pick up later for the back half of the star.

It starts like this:

and ends up as a three dimenstional five pointed star:



Last night I was going to cast on a crocheted tank but the instructions were too complicated for my late night brain.  I will try again today.  I have 2.2 pounds of cotton on a spool that I got from the free store,




and this tee is made with four crocheted squares.  I think I can manage that once I wrap my head around the instructions - I may have to learn how to read a crochet diagram after all.

That is my week.  There was some pool time, and I helped my husband put together a workbench:

almost done
I also took my car in for an estimate - and it will get fixed sometime this coming week.

My grand-daughter turned 7 months yesterday.  Look at those teeth (she has six already).



To follow the other intrepid crafters check out their progress for the week here 

9 comments:

  1. How can she be 7 months already? she's gorgeous and the knitting looks good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has grown up so fast! Love that smiling face. I am so glad you love the produce bags. I so need more of those too. Hopefully soon.cute advent items. Lovely workbench too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7 months?!? How did that happen? Her cheesy grin is adorable. And those cheeks!!! I LOVE the mitts that will make up the advent calendar. Beautifully done. I'm thinking that will be an heirloom someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the little makes this week Mary-Anne, from the water bottle carrier and produce bag to the star and little man but the Advent Calendar mitts steal the show this week for me. They are gorgeous and by the sounds of them quick to make.
    Hope you can figure out the instructions for your tank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of great projects...I love the idea of Advent projects, I'd never finish them...and look at that smile on her face! Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous little baby! I know you love her to bits! Other than not being able to figuer out the tank, it seems you had a fun, productive week. Advent! My, but where has this year gone? August is this week---and Christmas is just around the corner. I think your little mittens will be an heirloom for sure.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cutie loves to show off her new teeth, doesn't she? They are so lovely when they smile that way. That little elf? dwarf? is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw...I love seeing your granddaughter; she is adorbs! I really like your advent knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The advent calendar is so cute. I'm sure you will have that finished in no time.
    I love the happy toothy grin of your granddaughter. A happy image to carry around in my mind today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.