Sunday, August 11, 2019

Yopping Update #6 - When in doubt do the math


I have been slowly working on the kerchief tank top and kept having to count every row to make sure I had the correct number of double crochets so that each square would be, well, square.  Finally after finishing square two I decided to do the math to see how it grew proportionally.  This made square number three much much easier.

Row 3                Row 4

44                       36
76                       52
108                     68
140                     84
172                     100
204                     116

Row 3 is dc in every stitch and Row 4 is dc, chain 1, skip one etc around the square. Both rows have 2dc,ch2,2dc in the corners.

Can you see the pattern?   A little brain teaser for you - I will post the answer next week.

I am part way through square four and then to put it all together and add the edging and the straps. (That will likely be a brainteaser for me).

After number 2 square I decided to rewind the cotton from the cone it was on into a proper ball so it unwinds easier in the yarn bowl.  This allowed me to weigh it all as well (remember the cone, all 454 gms of it came from the little island's free store).

So after knitting two produce bags and the four squares for the tank I still have at least 179 gms left.  This should be enough for a little baby sweater I think.

Other than that I did get to the pool 4 times, went to a couple of mental health group meetings, saw the doctor about my arm (I am getting a cortisone shot in my shoulder tomorrow), and spent time reading on the back porch and we even spent one evening lying on the beach.  Yesterday it rained so I spent most of the day indoors blogging, crocheting and netflixing!  (new verb).

Today it is raining still, and to be honest my anxiety is kicking my ass. I think I do know what has brought it on and probably a good session spent writing about it might help.  Stay tuned.

To follow other yoppers (and if you are a Ravelry member) check out their posts here




11 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing your crocheted tank. It sounds quite fascinating. Hopefully the cortisone Injection. Will help your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing your new garment, too. But I'm afraid my brain just froze when you starting talking Math. Not that I don't love a nice brain teaser, but I'll let you enjoy this one by yourself. lol I hope you get your thoughts out in writing this week. I understand how that helps. Writing is often how I work through a problem - asking questions until I get to the heart of the matter. I hope you have a good week, dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s funny I read the first couple of paragraphs last night before going to bed and thought I’m too tired to understand. Now it’s morning after a good nights sleep and I’m still not understanding the math bits. Seems to be working for you though, so stick with it. Writing often helps get to the root of a problem or certainly can help get you half way there. I had bursitis in my left shoulder when I was au pairing for twins and a 4 year old. I constantly seemed to have a child on my left hip and eventually my left arm wasn’t moveable! I had a cortisone shot and it helped enormously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope the shot helps your arm! I love math but my brain is not awake yet so I'll pass. The top sounds like it will be lovely though. Writing is good and so is work....something to occupy your mind and thoughts....reading something uplifting, cleaning out cupboards....anything to keep the negative thoughts away. I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the shot works on your shoulder. Me and maths dont mix well so I will pass. I too find writing helps me to sort things out. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the shot helped and I too am looking forward to seeing your tank!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got to the maths and stopped reading - could'n't help myself - had to get the pen and paper out. This is what I came up with:
    Where:-
    I is the iteration of the two-row pattern assuming the first iteration is your 'Row 3' with 44 dc including corners; i.e. When I = 1 then 'Row 3' has 44 dc.
    f is the factor of increase, in this pattern's case it is 8. f=8
    x (unknown) is the no. of dc in the second round of the pattern ('Row 4')

    To work out how many dc sts to expect (x) in the 'Row 4' repeat (including corners):

    x = { [ f(4I + 1) + ½f ] } - { f[ I + (I - 1) ] }

    I am assuming that the first two rounds of your squares did not follow this pattern.

    What do you reckon, Mary-Anne?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe copy and paste the formula and reformat it in a serif font - the I doesn't read very well in sans serif. Maybe we should make it an R for Repeat?

      Delete
    2. Oh my Jodie - you are a math whizz - I was just happy to figure out that each iteration increased 8 stitches per side from previous row 3 or 4 stitches per side from previous row 4. But after a second cup of coffee I am going to explore your maths!

      Delete
    3. - embarrassed look - I guess I overthought it! hehehe

      Delete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.