Sunday, September 13, 2020

Yopping #11 - Second verse, same as the first


 


Does anyone else remember that song by Herman's Hermits. 

I'm Henry the Eighth I am....

There is a line where he says - "Second verse same as the first."


I feel that way about my blog post this week.  It should have the same title as last week's entry.  Gnomes and Spinning.


First my finished Gnome - 

Here we Gnome again by Imagined Landscapes

He has joined his buddies atop the piano. 


I spun on my turkish spindle (will ply them tomorrow) 


I had a much more successful long backward draw after Highland Heffalump's suggestion to spin from rolags. 


And then spent time plying another sample - this one Icelandic which I think is my favourite so far.  I love the colour and so easy to spin. 


Handsome Icelandic boy

I have the Dorset Horn sample on the wheel but you will have to wait until next week to see it.  I also have another gnome on the go, but he is naked right now and I need to knit him a wee little sweater - so next week as well. 

The big news this week was yesterday my husband, nephew and I put two solar panels on top of our camper.  It was a full eight hour day and we are all tired today, but doesn't it look like fun?

picture from my living room window (note slanted driveway we are working on)

Auntie and Nephew

husband was taking our photos and supervising from the ground

We are all pretty pleased with ourselves.  

Of course we expected a nice hot day to do this work, and probably it was good it was not for the sake of my nephew who was on the roof most of the day, but the skies were very smokey and cold from the fires in Oregon, Washington and California.  I think by the time we were done the temperature at 5 pm was only 57 degrees (14 Celsius).  By 6 pm when I started dinner it was already so dark it felt like 8 pm.  

this was taken about 2 pm - very apocalyptic, no?

So today we will take it easy.  My husband is napping and here it is 2 pm and I am still in my pjs.  

I hope everyone is staying safe, and keeping their outside activity curtailed if your skies are as smokey as mine.  

Boy, 2020 has not been fooling around, and we still have 3 1/2 months to go!  

7 comments:

  1. Definitely remember signing 'enry the eighth I am in my fake English accept. Can't imaging dealing with the smoke from the western fires. Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are smokey too. It is 3:30 here and looks like dusk. Just think how nasty it is for those much closer to the fires.

    Your gnomes always make me smile. Since there is no grand daughter photo, the gnome will need to do. Do you have a book of patterns for these little guys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These patterns are all on Ravelry and created by Imagined Landscapes, Sarah Schira. If you buy four of them, she only charges you for three. What I love is now I have knit five different ones I can create my own mixing and matching their hats, and beards and bodies. The possibilities are endless.

      Delete
  3. I’m so pleased that worked and helped your long drawer. I want to spend some time on my wheel this week, as I haven’t since TDF v1. I just love those gnomes and their pun names. I’m so with you on this year. I suspect with all this smoke and ash in the air it is going to make for a very cold and snowy winter just to top the year off. But at least you’ll have beautiful knitwear. I still keeping thinking of a project for all the breeds I have in my stash. My friend keeps some Icelandic sheep but I’ve not been to her farm yet to see them. Hopefully I’ll be able to at some point. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2020 really does its best to be unforgettable, albeit in a nasty way. It's a good thing we have our crafting to keep us sane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gnomes are so cute and I too love your Icelandic yarn you're spinning. Good job on the solar panels. I should have some on my roof as we get so much sun here all year. I'm busy doing outside chores since the temps have finally gone down a bit. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.