Sunday, September 6, 2020

Yopping Update #10 - Gnomes and spinning

Good morning all. 

I have been continuing to gnome along this week.  

The little guy on the left is on his way to Plymouth on Tuesday to go to University with a student of mine.


I loved doing his hat
- a new technique to me for sure

Gnome Pun Intended 

On Thursday I started a new gnome - this one from worsted leftovers and last night I finished his hat:

Here we Gnome Again

You will have to wait for his full unveiling next week.  

This week I have been spinning everyday - working on the different samples I won during the earlier Tour de Fleece this summer.  So far I have spun six.  
 
Manx Loaghtan


Masham

Jacob

Cheviot


All of these samples came from Adelaide Walker in the UK.  I was looking up the sheep breeds on Wikipedia, but discovered she has information on all of them on her website.  I plan to order from her in the new year since I promised myself NO fibre purchases in 2020.  

Southdown

Whitefaced Woodland

All except the Whitefaced Woodland were spun with short forward draw and chain plied.  With the Whitefaced Woodland I tried the long backward draw but only succeeded with a short backward draw.  It is much hard then the youtube I watched made it look!  So far my favourite fibre was the Masham, but I LOVE the mousy brown colour of the Manx Loaghtan.

Today is the challenge day, and I will work with my new-to-me Turkish spindle and some Romney crossbreed I have that came with the spindle.  It will be a vintage spin for sure. 




Summer Days be like this

I would like to try to paint this scene.  My daughter is becoming quite the photographer with her new phone.  She has always had a great artistic eye. 

We are almost to the end of the last summer long weekend.  School is returning on Tuesday. I can't even imagine what that will be like, but I have already told the school I will not be subbing in the foreseeable future. Cases are on the uptick here so I am staying safe and secluded.  Thank goodness for my spinning wheel, needles and hooks.  

I hope all is well with all of you wherever you are.  I am so thankful for my global Ravelry and Zoom communities during this pandemic.  

12 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying your gnomes. I was thinking about making felted ones but I just don't need more knik knaks. But thinking it might be a fun gift for my daughter-in-law.

    Unfortunately Blogger won't let me comment from my wordpress url.
    https://knittingissofun.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gnomes are over the top cute! The gnome hat you made is a beautiful one. You are really spinning away and the yarn/fleece you are working with sounds amazing. that is a beautiful photo. It almost looks like a painting. Stay well and upbeat! Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the gnomes and that's a great photo of your granddaughter. I think you're wise to avoid the school for now. Our DIL went back last week and she is happy so far at the measures the school have put into place but she only has a few weeks left before she starts her maternity leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gnomes make me smile. How much joy they will bring to people. You really got quite a bit of spinning done this week. How fun to research each type of sheep the wool came from. Nice photo from your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute gnomes and safe travels to the first one, his hat is pretty quirky. Long draw spinning works best from rolags, did you make these with the fibre first or were you trying from the roving/top? If you have carders or a blending board these are easy to make up and make long draw far easier. I haven’t joined in TDF this time so I’ll just enjoy watching your spins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the tip - I have made about 10 rolags to try again today.

      Delete
  6. ah those gnomes, they ARE delightful!

    One possibly very naive question on spinning: you mention "backward draw". Does it mean that you pull the fibre away from the spindle? I can't picture this in my mind (this shows also the depth of my ignorance of anything related to spinning!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go check it out on youtube. I don't think I can explain it very well. But yes you draft by pulling well back from the spindle.

      Delete
  7. Love the growing collection of gnomes!
    And your spun singles and yarns are really nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What personality each of your gnomes have. I think the one of the left, with his hands in his pockets, is surely up to something mischievous. I hope his new owner keeps an eye on him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your gnomes have such character--Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic, I love all the gnomes - I recognise that hat!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.