Sunday, September 27, 2020

Yopping Update #13 - Rest in Peace Cat Bordhi


 It was sad for me to open Ravelry earlier this week and hear of Cat's passing.  She was such a great influence on my journey as a sock knitter.  I have knit almost every pair in her Pathways to Sock Knitting.  Some of them multiple times.  I also loved her videos on the Sweet Tomato Heel and it is one of my favourite heels to knit on my socks.  Then there was her book of Felfs, and moebius knitting.  In honour of her passing I cast on a moebius cowl this week and used my handspun.  The pink and lilac were my hand-dyed homespun and the gray was Panda from Sweet Georgia. (also handspun).

  


I will knit a toque to go with the cowl with the rest of the pink and lilac (and a wee bit of the grey to finish it off).


I ordered two more of her books - her last was a book of momo cowls - colour work moebius cowls, and her Versatildes.  I really want to make one of the vests and I will when I spin enough handspun for one.  

I made the tiny tilde to practice the technique.


and then I frogged it to make the hat.  The designs in the book are very cool as the cables are reversible.

I started my Nativity scene.  For now it is a lot of bits and pieces: the green magi, the red magi, and Mary's cloak started as well as one sheep (from handspun, not sewn together) and the baby Jesus.  

Moomintroll photo bombing  


I have knit all I can with the colours I had left over from my blankets, but I have ordered ALL the colours from Knitpicks to finish. I love the stitch definition I am getting from the Brava Sport. There goes my yarn diet!

Now, back to the Moomintroll.  He was in my queue and when I couldn't think of anything to cast on last Sunday so he decided it was time. 

My nephew loved the Moomintroll books when he was little

So that has been my week.  A week of mourning and remembrances.  I heard of two of my colleagues who also passed in the last few weeks.  I know that Heaven has two new angels looking down on all of us.  And goodness knows we need all the angels we can get right now. 

I am waiting on the results of yet another ct scan, and this week I laid pretty low.  Ok to be honest I didn't get out of my pajamas from Sunday night until Wednesday afternoon.  Ya, that kind of week.  I am feeling a wee bit more energetic today and hopefully I will hear the results from my doctor tomorrow.  The waiting is always the worst.  Once I know, I know and then I get on with it.  

I did try a couple of new recipes this week, and this enchilada casserole was a huge favourite.  It comes from a cookbook called Yum & Yummer.  It will definitely be in our rotation from now on.  I have to admit that since the lockdown in March I am cooking more and getting more adventurous to try new recipes and I think my cooking has really improved, plus it gives my dh a break from the cooking duties. (I am off to start the slow roasted salmon as soon as I publish this post). 

I am happy to also share that my sister has been published.  It is a wonderful story called Ivy's Tree about a newly widowed woman who moves from Vancouver to Tokyo to live with her only child.  It is sad, and funny, and lovely and hopeful.  It is a story about being brave. I think the world needs more stories about being brave. Don't you?  The day to day brave that we all must be at this time especially. 

I almost forgot.  I won a free pattern in the 2nd Tour de Fleece for my turkish spindle work.  I chose this Kangaroo Mom and Joey that has been in my queue for a while.  I think I have enough brown homespun to make it work.  Stay tuned. 

No grand-daughter pic this week, but lots of facetime on whatsapp which has been glorious.  

Take care all.  Enjoy the fall, rain and all (she says to herself).



9 comments:

  1. I think you've had quite a productive week! The passing of a contemporary knitting legend is always a weird thing to process, I think you payed appropriate homage with your inspired project.

    Hope you get some answers from your medical team soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your results come in soon. With everything else going on as well then there's no shame in having a PJ few days and goodness knows I've had my fair share. I have heard others talk about this designer passing and hadn't heard of her but you've encouraged me to look more into her designs. The moomin is cute and I'm sure your nativity scene will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd heard of cat bordi but I was late to the knitting scene so I never knit anything of hers. I hope your CT scan comes out good...I'm not even sure what that is but I wish you health and happiness regardless. I love the nativity...you're going gangbusters on it!
    I've never heard of the Moomintroll books but it sure is cute!
    Enchilada casserole sounds good...I'll have to find a good recipe. I love casseroles. The Kangaroos and baby are precious. I can't wait to see that one come alive. Congrats on your sister's book being published. That is a lifetime achievement! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, have knit many of Cats designs. Her tomato wedge heel was one of the first sock classes I took. She was a true pioneer of creating different ways of doing things. As for pajamas.....I have found myself getting dressed later and later these days. Unless I have an errand, my thought is, why bother. It just creates more laundry lol. Your nativity set is already so cute. I do admire people like you, who do small knitted items such as gnomes, nativity scenes and moomintroll. Congrats on the pattern win too. Will be looking forward to seeing them when done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for mentioning the passing of Cat Bordhi. I did not know her before reading this, but reading a bit, she sounds like a wonderful person and I now want to know more about her. And I'm sorry to hear that also you lost two people in your personal world. Hugs to you, friend. I've never heard of Moomintroll either. You have given me homework to do and I'm looking forward to expanding my world. :) And congrats on your sister's book! It sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear of your losses and that you've not been feeling so great. You've still been very productive though and I hope by now you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link to your sister's book. It sounds very good and maybe my book club should consider. I'm creating the book list for 2021 now. Hope the health news is good news. Aging isn't for the faint of heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aha! You have answered my earlier question about what yarn you would use for your kangaroo!
    I share your sadness about Cat Bordhi and also Annie Modesitt. I had not been on Ravelry for months and the sad losses of these influential designers hit me all at once - I too, have their patterns in my collection.
    Waiting for test results can be hard. I try to get on with life as best I can and do lovely things for my self care. That way, if the test outcome requires more treatment/hospitalisation, I will have recent happy memories to buoy myself up at difficult times. If the test results are favourable then any worry during the waiting period would have been for nothing and a waste of energy. I choose to distract myself from worry because worrying in the meantime will not change the outcome of the results. Sometimes adjusting one's view about the waiting period might make it less stressful in future. Wishing you a smooth recovery. xx

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.