Sunday, August 1, 2021

Yopping Update #5 - It was a spinney kind of week

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin




Good Morning!  We had some rain in the wee hours of the morning for an hour or so.  Yay!  I think it has been over forty days since the last bit of precipitation.  I am sure the plant world is very happy. 

I did finish my toque to match my gansey and my fingerless mitts.

Lovely free pattern Rainbow Indigo Fisherman's Beanie

I then started my gansey style socks called Sunday Best 

Colour is more purple than this picture shows

I didn't get much done on them because I was busy spinning the 250 gms of fleece (unknown breed). I spun directly from the fleece using the long draw method.  It was easy to spin from the fleece and the locks seemed to easily get spun into the drafting area.  Using the long draw method made it easy to pick out the grasses and such as I came upon them and this particular fleece must have been washed because there wasn't much lanolin in it, but after each bobbin spun (I ended up with four) my lap was full of dust and fine dirt that I would have to shake off.  I ended up with 346 metres of aran weight yarn.  Now I have to decide what to knit with it.  I want to knit something fairisle using it with the 250 gms of white I spun during Tour de Fleece. 


Speaking of Tour de Fleece I found out yesterday that I won a $25 Etsy gift certificate.  I already found something to buy - a hand tooled birch wood darning disk.  They are made in the UK but it does say they ship to Canada.  Stay tuned. 

Also this week my key fob cover was looking tatty so I double knit a new one out of some rainbow hemp I have lying around. I forgot to take a picture of the one I replaced, but trust me this one looks much nicer. 


My navy Frangipani yarn arrived on Thursday so I hope to cast on my next gansey sometime this week.  I just have to verify the recipient's measurements.  

The best news of the week is that on Friday (our 44th Anniversary) our son arrived!!  We haven't seen him since October 2019.  We have three weeks with him!! (Yes, all those exclamation marks are necessary)

Last night's sunset walk

There were quite a few errands run this week getting ready for his visit, and for a short camping trip we hope to take  with him later in August.  Bear spray, camping chairs, and a propane fire pit (because wood fires are banned in our province because the dry weather has sparked many, many wild fires).  I even reorganized the camper and bought a three drawer unit for one of the cupboards so my husband's clothes can be better organized than just one big messy pile to sort through.  It feels good to be getting things done in the house and in the camper.  Between my husband and I it seems like we have deliveries coming to our door almost daily! You are welcome Amazon. 

Okay - that's it for this week.  Despite this morning's rain it is supposed to get hot and humid again later today so I had better get some chores done before the heat starts to build.  I already had my swim this morning (my son came too), so after chores I will get my knitting out for certain. 



11 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I know you will enjoy every minute of having your son home. Those days get fewer and fewer as they get older and older. Your new spun yarn looks beautiful. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very productive week with a cherished visitor to enjoy! I warn that you'd better get your fuel supply in order, there is a dearth of those little green gas canisters to be had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sunset picture. How fun to have your son home for such a long visit. And what fun things you have planned. I hope you all have great weather and good health. Enjoy, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really doing well with the gansey knitting. How nice to have your son for an extended visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hat is lovely to almost complete the set. I see the need for the exclamation marks!! How brilliant to be able to see your son - I hope you have a wonderful few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you paint the top picture and the one before with the hummingbird? They are lovely! So happy you are going to be seeing your son! Your Gansey projects are all beautiful! You are the most talented knitter I have ever known. Congrats on the "prize"! Enjoy your camping adventures with your son and so glad you got some bear spray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did paint my header picture and the one last year too. I am a striving watercolour painter - haven't done any for a while but I do want to get back to it.

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your time with your son - how wonderful he can visit for 3 whole weeks! Congrats too on getting so much spinning accomplished. Those skeins look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your visit with your son! Congrats on the TdF win! I can’t wait to see the Gansey socks. Most of mine are plain vanilla, may have to check out some more patterned socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait until it gets to cold weather and we can see a photo of you modelling your matching gansey, toque and gloves. How smart and cosy you will be.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.