Sunday, August 15, 2021

Yopping Update #7 - Home again, home again Jiggety Jig

                                                                                                                     Follow my blog with Bloglovin


 I'm bacckkk!

It is late Sunday afternoon and I have a window of time to write this post.  Last Sunday we left at noon to go camping, and it was an amazing five days.  The campground was quiet, the lake was gorgeous for swimming and we had excellent meals.  The weather was warm during the days, but cooled nicely in the evening.  Our campground was on the shady side so we could relax there if the beach was too hot. 

master chef at work

master relaxer

Our daughter and her family were never far from our thoughts as our beach towels can attest.
selfie in front of smokey lake





The first day my son and I did a 4km hike that involved scrabbling over big rocks in some places.  It was tiring, but I felt so good knowing I could manage the distance and difficulty. The next day I swam a mile in the glacier cold lake.  It took me just over an hour and I was glad the sun was nice and hot when I got out so I could warm up!  Where is the hot tub when you need it?

On Thursday my son went for a 15km hike and I stayed in the campsite and swam a half mile later in the afternoon.  

My husband got his solar panels working so we could recharge our batteries a couple of times during the week since the campground did not have electricity.  

We woke up Friday morning, the day we were leaving, and the sky was very smokey.  We headed home hoping that there was not a forest fire between home and the campsite.  There wasn't, but as we got closer and closer to home the smokey skies got worse and the heat was intense.  So, yes, we arrived home just as our hometown was in an extreme heatwave, with smokey skies from the fires to the south and east of us. 

Thankfully today is a bit cooler and the skies not as smokey. 

I already swam at the pool this morning for forty-five minutes, and then my son and I went birding for two hours.  After a yummy Thai lunch he is napping, and I am relaxing on the back porch.  Hubby is reading blogs on his computer.  It is a nice quiet afternoon, and we bought some fresh salmon to bbq for supper. 

Can you tell we are having a wonderful visit with our son?  Oh, yes we are!

I did manage to do a wee bit of knitting in the campsite and turned one heel successfully, totally messed up the second heel, tinked back the second heel as the campground was getting darker and darker, and then last night re-knit the second heel as I sat on the back porch racing to finish before it was too dark to see.  

So, I actually knit three fish lip kiss heels for one pair of socks!

If it cools down enough I should get to start the foot of the socks tonight.  It is hard to knit when my hands are sweaty holding the needles and then the wool doesn't slide easily.  I know, I know - first world problem.

The weather app is predicting rain tomorrow.  That will be a nice change for sure.  

I bought a new plant for my back porch today, 

Silverweed


and my son bought me an air plant which will be sitting on my kitchen window sill after it posed for the picture below.


The big deal about these plants is that this is the first time I have gone into a garden store since the pandemic began.  Baby steps to re-integrate into the world now I have my two vaccines.  I take it as a huge win, as was going into a grocery store for a big shop in person to get all the supplies for our camping trip.  I felt so brave and proud of myself. 


I will leave you with a picture that came up on my fb memories.  This is my aunt on her 100th birthday five years ago posing with one of my cousins.  My aunt is wearing the shawl I knit for her.  She was a grand, grand lady, and I miss her so much.  


Until next week - hope you are all well and finding your own reasons to be proud of yourself. 

9 comments:

  1. Your camping trip sounds GLORIOUS! Way to hike and swim all the miles!
    Going back into the world after an extended pause can be really nerve wracking! You don't need to jump back in all at once.
    Today, I took my (little) kids to the mall to get some first-day outfits. I hate shopping. I'm proud of myself for going in person and not just ordering it online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely camping trip you had. It sounds like you are really enjoying the time with your son too. Nice socks. I had to read the part about knitting 3 FLK heels. I finally "got" it. LOL. I never heard of Silverwood before. It is on my list of things to look up. That shawl you made for your Aunt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got to have a wonderful week with your son. Baby steps in the world and big steps back as this Delta variant forces us back into isolation. I can't even image what this winter is going to be like. Hope Canada does a better job of everyone getting vaccinated versus the US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful week you've been having! I'm not a swimmer but a very cold dip in the water sounds amazing after all the heat we've been having. Enjoy the rest of your time with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are home safe and sound and that you are having a wonderful time with your son. Love the pictures and the beach towels! Good for you with 3 heels for 2 socks. I pray the fires stay away from you. I can't believe what a strong swimmer and hiker you are! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely week you've had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like the time with your son has been truly special and what a wonderful family shot. Glad you got home safely and its cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful trip. I am very jealous! I love the socks - hope this week has been just as relaxing at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How terrific that you and your husband and son can all enjoy camping together. And that he can spend this concentrated time with you. Great picture of the three of you. And how beautiful your aunt looked at 100 years! Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.