Sunday, August 22, 2021

Yopping Update #8 - Wait, what? A finish and one wip?

 


A short post today.  I am a wee bit sad as my son left last night, but it was a wonderful visit.  I so wish I lived closer to both of my children which is hard since they live on different continents. 


However, I did finish my Sunday Best socks yesterday:

finally a picture that is true to the colour


This week I also started the gansey for my friend who is graduating next month with a degree in Marine Biology.  I got the welt done and the plain stocking stitch section with her initials.  Today I will start the patterning.  I will be very monogamous with this project as I want it done before she flies home at the end of September.  There is another Imagined Landscapes KAL gnome in September but I can manage that at the same time for sure!  It seems there can never be too many gnomes in my life.

I got in some swims this week - the only time available was 6:30 in the morning - a sleepy start but a great way to begin my day.  I swim quite well while half asleep it seems. Today I swam at 7am.  A bit more reasonable, and this coming week I scored the 7:30am time which is very reasonable indeed. 

The only down side to my week was on Wednesday I started to develop an eye infection which quickly spread to the second eye. I tried to manage it at home but by Friday morning it was much too serious and I had had a very poor sleep.  I managed to get into the drop-in medical clinic by 10:30am and by 11am I had some antibiotics and steroid drops.  By yesterday things were much more comfortable although I do need to keep taking them for a week.  

I blame my swim goggles and they have since been thoroughly cleaned. 

That's it for me - doing laundry today, and, of course, knitting.  


colour should show as navy, not grey

Who knew we had hibiscus trees in our district?

also my marigold finally bloomed!


9 comments:

  1. That hibiscus tree is a Mugunghwa, the National flower of South Korea. Just thought I’d drop by with that extra bit of trivia.
    It always sucks when our kids leave, no matter how old they are. I’m missing my son awfully as we are in lockdown preventing us seeing each other. He couldn’t even be with his sister for her 21st yesterday. But she is home with me as she’s recuperating after surgery. So bonus… she is locked in here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely socks. I hope you’re feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty socks and that shade of yarn is lovely. Ooh there certainly can’t be too many gnomes for my liking, I love seeing them when you make them. With all the millions of Minions in my house I think if I started slotting gnomes in too it could be the last straw for my husband, so seeing yours is the next best thing. It’s great you have such a great relationship with your children even though they are far away. My dad is hopeless on the phone but writes me a short letter once a month and when I see him in October for my mother’s 80th it will be 2.5 years since I last saw him...my mum I haven’t seen in 6 years. So although you don’t get to see them often at least you are a loving family that keep in touch and have video calls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can totally relate to the depression after a kids visit. I so miss having all the kids in the house. Now that they are married it's a rare event to even hear from them. I am so treasuring these last 2 years of my youngest living at home while finishing college.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those socks are gorgeous. Such a pretty color and the pattern is awesome. Sounds like you had a great visit with your son. It is always sad when they leave. More gnomes!!! YES!!! I love your gnomes and enjoy seeing them as they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely socks and your friend is extremely fortunate to be on the receiving end of a Gansey! So glad you had such a great time with your son. I have a hibiscus tree but mine is pink. I love the one in your photo! My marigold plant is more like a bush. It's huge. Glad you got a fix for your eyes! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful socks - I love anything purple! Hope that eye infection clears up quickly - feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your finish is amazing! You are Queen of Gansey and your friend is a lucky duck to be on the receiving end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great visit with your son!

    Your newly finished socks are beautiful, and your friend's sweater will become a treasured heirloom (I'm certain of this)!

    Hope your eye is well soon!!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.