Sunday, November 21, 2021

Yopping Update #21 - another pair of socks

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Well, I did cast on another pair of socks (Vroni on Ravelry), and finished them, so once again I have nothing on my needles.  


How cute are these stash busters?

Well technically I did cast on another pair of socks in undyed yarn, and I plan to dye them once they are socks, but I am not sure I want to tackle the complexity of the pattern at this time. The Ravelry pattern is here. I am leaning towards getting out my crochet hook and starting the Weeble doll and its clothing, so time will tell. 

Mostly this week I have been writing and keeping up with the Nanowrimo challenge.  I am over 36,600 words now, and I feel confident I will get to the 50,000 words by the end of the month.  It will need lots of editing and the story will not be finished so the writing will continue on after the 30th but it won't have the pressure of the minimum 1667 words a day that I have set for myself.  It has been a good exercise in writing discipline for me.  

My writing spot is on the couch with my laptop on, well, my lap!  I usually write before breakfast.  Most of the time between 10am and noon.  It works for me to write first thing in my day, and then get on with my errands and swims or walks.  I have started the process of investigating getting my first novel printed and it is looking possible.  I will get another quotation this coming week. 

As I mentioned last week, I have a free promotion of White Rabbit starting tomorrow and running until the 26th, so if you are interested the price is right!  I think it is only running on Amazon.com and maybe also Amazon.uk because I didn't seem to have the option to change it.   I am definitely learning as I go. 

Thanks to Liz I now have an author's page on GoodReads, and if you have read my book it would be great if you could put up a review on either GoodReads or Amazon.  I am not very good at self-promotion, but I am trying to put myself, and White Rabbit, out there with some hesitation, but also a good amount of pride. 

free Nov 22 -26th


Last night my brother and his wife came over for supper.  We haven't seen each other since the summer of 2020.  It was a great evening.  Lots of laughter and of course HUGS!  

Slowly but surely I am starting to see friends and family again.  I mostly feel safe and confident, but of course if I get the sniffles or wake up with a wee cough I fret that I have contracted the virus.  My husband got the invitaion for his booster because he is older then I am.  I don't expect to get my invitaion until the new year.  

I will leave you with another excerpt from my newest novel.  It doesn't yet have a title.  It started out as one kind of story and then the main character took hold of me and it has gone in a whole other direction.  
Regardless here is a bit of chapter 14:

As she continued on her way she saw that the olive tree was standing stoically and no-one else was around.  She always liked leaning against the great cedars that grew in her yard at home.  She felt they gave her strength and life-force.  She wondered if a 1500 year old olive tree would do the same.  She walked up to the tree and found a perfect niche that she could wriggle her back into.  She leaned back and looked up at the leafy expanse.  Olive leaves were such a different colour of green than she was used to.  The wood felt warm, and the sun dappled as it came through the leaves onto her face.  She breathed deeply.  More  deeply than perhaps she had for days.  She imagined all the history this tree had borne witness too.  How many epidemics, and pandemics.  It had survived.  In fact it had thrived.  So, she decided resolutely, would she.


Have a good week everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to all my American readers!








7 comments:

  1. Those socks are precious. The pattern you have chosen for the next pair is pretty too. Sounds like you writing is coming along quite nicely. Hubby and I got our boosters and did not have any side effects this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are cute fun socks. That sock pattern does look a bit brain involved. But they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those socks - they are so much fun! I'm cheering you on for the NaNoWriMo end-of-month deadline. I'm in awe of folks who can be that disciplined and write so much in one month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the socks! I printed the pattern a while ago for my daughter. Seeing yours makes me want to go find yarn and start a pair for her. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m a third of the way through your book now, I’m a pretty slow reader as I only read before bed and fall asleep pretty quickly but when I wake in the night and can’t get back to sleep I read again. I love those cute socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The socks!! SO ADORABLE!!!! And with the colorwork around the toe, there is little worry about not fitting over my heels or instep!

    Congrats on making your writing goals this month! My professional writer friends even say that the NaNoWriMo word count can be difficult to achieve! Keep going strong! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The socks are gorgeous. Well done on keeping up with the writing challenge, I will miss reading your excerpts!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.