Sunday, December 12, 2021

Yopping Update #24 - Learning new tricks

 


This has been a 'learn new skills' kinda week.  First of all I needed to repair my mitered sock yarn blanket.

About five years ago I finished this:


Last Monday I discovered a hole in one of the eight-hundred squares. 

I blame Otis (the cat)

Luckily I had favourited a  blog post via Ravelry on how to replace a square in the middle of the blanket so once I located the post the rest was fairly straightforward.  

hardest part was finding my woven in ends

 First I had to undo the damaged square from the blanket making sure to catch the live stitches on two sides of the square and pick up the correct number of stitches on the other two sides. 

Then I had to start knitting each row remembering on every other row to knit the last stitch in the row together with the side stitch from the adjacent square.  With me so far?

Ready to start


More than half way done

Ta-Da!
I say Ta-Da, but it took the best part of an afternoon to complete the repair. 

The second skill I learned was how to compensate for the 'jog' in the pattern when you are knitting fairisle in the round.  I wasn't happy with the first paw sock and so I looked up how to correct the jog for the second sock.  It took me a while to wrap my head around the instructions, and I did have to chart it out for myself but once I got going it was actually quite easy and I am very happy with the result.  

Can you see how the bottom and top of the right side of the pad looks wonky?

This is because when knitting in the round you are actually spiralling up as you knit so the end of the round is actually one row higher than the beginning of the round.  


Now it looks right. 


If you are interested in the technique you can check out this interweave article here

Otherwise this week I have been keeping up with my gnome KAL.  I am knitting two of them in different colour combinations and I am looking forward to sharing them with you once they are finished and allowed to be viewed. 

I am also keeping up with the gansey scarf KAL.  Wolhobby releases about 20 rows a day which is totally doable and for the most part easy tv knitting.  

In between as I have mentioned above I am knitting my 19th pair of socks.  I finished the first one on Thursday 


The pattern calls for an afterthought heel, but I did a fishlips kiss heel instead.  

I am making pretty good progress on sock #2.  I am glad I didn't knit these two at a time so I could fix the paws on the back of the sock.  No-one would notice, but I am glad I had an excuse to learn something new.


 

I have been walking everyday - and my new waterproof pants arrived which I took for a test run on Friday.  They work great so I am all set for the wintery rainy weather.  We got a little snow last night , and we had a little earlier in the week, but so far nothing to concern ourselves with. 

I did get my booster on Wednesday.  I went with my husband and took my form from the doctor explaining my immune compromised health condition.  The manager said it was the wrong form, but he was very kind and I think because I was tearing up and a wee bit shaky he gave the go ahead for me to get the jab.  I am so grateful. We both had a sore arm for a couple of days, but by Saturday the soreness had gone away. 

I got my Christmas cards in the mail last week as well, and have picked up a few stocking stuffers (when I pass a store on my walks and there aren't any line-ups) so I am feeling like any Christmas shopping frenzy is well in hand.  

Today is the third sunday of Advent and the animals have joined my advent wreath.  We are still having regular whatsapp chats with our granddaughter to open the wee advent knits.  


I saw this little gnome on one of my walks this past week.  There is always something that catches my eye to photograph.  

It is a gnomey kind of Christmas 


  I will leave you with this scene from my Friday walk.  I think it is something we all need, right?



  Oh, and this too.  
Can you spot the difference?  
Two of these things are not like the others!


A dear friend sent me two books this past week.  I am really enjoying these.  I had never heard of Clara Parkes, but they are enjoyable reads for knitters and other fibre lovers.  

I am reading the anthology about stashes right now - so funny, and oh so true. 



Have a great week dear Readers.  Take time to enjoy the season.  Take a walk or drive around your neighbourhood in the evening.  This year especially the Christmas lights seem like magic to me. 








7 comments:

  1. How nice you found a way to repair the blanket. That is truly an heirloom and it needs to be preserved. Jogless knitting is an art and I have had to do it a time or two. Once you know how to do it it's not so bad. I would need to go back and relearn it now though. (old age brain fade) I love seeing the photos from your walks. You have some of the most interesting things around you. Glad your rain proof pants work well. Happy third week of Advent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE Christmas lights!! Thank you for sharing. It's just not the same in Florida. And most folks at the condo complex don't seem to put up outdoor lights. You can see a few trees through the windows but that's all. I will definitely make time those few days we are in Cincinnati to drive around and look at neighborhood lights. Christmas Eve is always good for that since we go to mass before dinner giving me lots of time after dinner to enjoy the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought when you said you had a hole in that blanket, was "Oh no! How would one fix that?!? And there you did it! Very impressive. And your paw sock is cute as can be. That Christmas gnome is pretty cute, and the lights beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so diligent....researching a repairing your blanket. I love the paw socks and the decorations are so pretty! TYFS! I've heard of Clara Parkes but I don't think I've read any of her books. Enjoy your waterproof pants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve read A Stash of Ones Own by Clara and enjoyed it and definitely identified with some of the stories. Well done on your blanket repair and for solving the paw jog issue. Those are cute socks. I’m so looking forward to seeing the new gnomes. Will they hang out with last years or be rivals I wonder 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for repairing the blanket. I think I could probably manage that but when it comes to socks I am just lost lol. Will the book help you manage your stash? The lights are pretty. The ones on the tree are my favourite. Sometimes less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you with your new skills! I love the repair you have made - very professional!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.