Sunday, December 5, 2021

Yopping Update #23 - The 2nd Week of Advent shine

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin


The 2nd candle of Advent shine
The plants and berries on the vine.

the yellow thing is a knitted mushroom

This week my granddaughter and I have been opening the advent calendar via whatsapp.  

All ready to start


First five days

Day one was a christmas wreath but she tells me 'it looks like a donut', so who am I to argue with an almost three year old. 

My KALs have started.  I can't show any pictures of the gnome KAL but I can tell you I have now learned the estonian braid, and I am definitely going to incorporate that in upcoming designs of my own. 

The gansey scarf KAL is coming along too.  She releases about 20 rows everyday and it is perfect evening tv knitting, or as my friend Cait says, Knitflixing.  

the colour is more a moss green

I finished my Samwise socks - my eighteenth pair of socks in 2021!

I plan to use this branching motif on my next gansey

back view - hugs and kisses

I have been doing lots of walking and on Tuesday we went down to the seawall and it was so windy.  The waves were crashing and splashing against the wall and there were two kite-surfers doing amazing stunts.  

We didn't get any pics of them because both our phones ran out of batteries but it was amazing to watch them in our normally calm strait.



On my Thursday walk I found a new plant I didn't recognize.  It is called a beautyberry. 

Cool, eh?
Speaking of walking, as of November 30 I reached another challenge goal, to walk 1000 kms in 2021.




I finished the Nanowrimo challenge and exceeded my 50,000 words. As of yesterday I have actually finished the first draft topping out just over 56,000 words.  There is a lot of editting to do, but it feels good to at least have a first draft fleshed out.  


We bought our tree on Monday even though we don't put it up until Christmas Eve.  Because of the flooding in the valley near us there is talk of a christmas tree shortage so we wanted to be ready.  Our son is flying to us for Christmas.  He comes in on Christmas Eve so we might put the tree up a day early.  The tree lot was set up like a Christmas wonderland.  It was very sweet to walk through as we chose our tree. 




This one is for Liz

One other goal I have set for myself is to drink more water.  I purchased this water bottle to help me.  So far so good. 
it holds two litres

So there is my week.  My husband has his booster appointment booked for thursday.  So far they are only boostering 70+ people, but the woman on the phone told me to go with him with my form indicating my immune compromised condition and she thought I would likely be boostered as well.  I hope so.  I am due for my bi-annual blood tests but I am not going to go to the blood clinic until I have my booster in place.  

I hope everyone has a good week.  I am actually going to write some christmas cards today.  Last year I couldn't find any stamps to buy, but this year I stocked up early.  


I will leave you with a small excerpt from my novel. This is the opening I wrote on November 1st.  


Letters to my Granddaughter (working title)

I suppose one should start a novel with a kick ass opening sentence. Something to grab the reader, something along the lines of “It was a dark and stormy night”, or “When she came to she realized the knife she was holding was covered in blood”.  


I imagine that kind of opening could lead to all kinds of suggestions of where the story would go next, who the characters could be, where the denouement may reside. My writing group would say that every page needed thirty percent dialogue, and every chapter needed to begin with a crisis either being created or resolved. Where would the drama be? Or the comedic interludes? Or the point?


Yes, the point. The point is you are so very far away and at this point in time you only know me as a face that pops up on your momma’s smart phone a few times a week.You sometimes ask to call us but I think your favourite thing about our Whatsapp calls is when you get to say good-bye, blow us a kiss and then push the button to sign off. 


My worry (and I have many) is that you and I will never know each other face to face. I was there when you were born, and for a few weeks afterwards, but now so much time has passed and you are growing so quickly. Every week it seems you have learned something new to do, or say.


Let’s go back to the beginning shall we? Before the pandemic. Before our lives were, and certainly my life was, changed forever.









12 comments:

  1. I love the advent opening with your granddaughter. I must do that with mine when she gets old enough!! Did you knit it. What a freaking fantastic idea!!! Now I know the project to do with the yarn advent calendar I plan to buy myself next year!! I miss having my advent log. I didn't bring it to Florida. I did put it on the table for my son and his girlfriend to enjoy.

    Is there a walking app/challenge? That sounds like something I would enjoy since I walk every day here in Florida. Might help me get out in Cinci but hubby's bathroom problems make walking at home harder since there isn't a bathroom every 20 minutes like in our condo complex. Your socks are beautiful!! Those purple berries are indeed beautiful. If they stayed purple, they would be beautiful on your advent wreath. Is that a third book?!! So amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I knit the little advent mitts and last year knit all the little advent treasures. It was great fun and a lovely tradition to have started. I use the Conquerer challenges to keep my walking and swimming motivation. There are many to choose from - I heard of one app where you walk the distance Frodo travelled in Lord of the Rings!
      This excerpt is from my second novel that I worked on during November.

      Delete
  2. Eighteen pairs of socks in a year. That is awesome. Your scarf is so pretty. Lots of interesting texture in it. Congrats on your walking milestone. You are very inspiring. How cute for your tree lot to make it interesting and not just a bunch of trees leaning against each other like they do here. Your new writing looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t get over how many socks you’ve made and so many of them are long and intricate patterns. The advent gifts are adorable. I don’t drink enough during the day, that’s a great idea for keeping you on track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great week. Congrats on meeting your NaNoWriMo goal, that’s awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 21 pairs of socks? I've been knitting for years now and I still don't have 21 pairs of socks! LOL!
    Congratulations on all your accomplishments...walking, hydrating, writing and so much more. The Gansey socks are gorgeous and your Advent garland is precious for your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss your photo of the Minions?! I may have had to have fostered them for the festive period. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on finishing NaNoWriMo! That's a huge achievement!
    I knit a pair of Samwise socks last year and I love yours. The twisted stitches and cables really stand out.
    Such a great tradition with your granddaughter for advent. (To be fair, it does kind of look like a donut and I'm also pretty sure one should never try arguing with a 3-year-old on things they are sure about.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you struggle with your health at times but when you look at your achievements, of which there are many, you should be so proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is true, and I am proud of myself. Sometimes I just get discourages that I am doing all the right things but not getting the mental and physical health results I want. thank you for reminding me of how far I have come.

      Delete
  9. Oh I do hope you got your booster - I got mine last week - we are doing over 18's now.
    Your KALs look amazing as do your socks. I love the advent by WhatsApp!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.