Sunday, February 13, 2022

Yopping Update #33 - Oh oh

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin 


Well, I forgot to mention a yarn acquisition last week, that now seems very tame compared to this week. 




I needed some hemp to make some double-knit kitchen potholders.  I usually buy the hemp at knitting shows, and since I haven't been to one for a couple of years now it seemed time.  It arrived quickly, and is waiting for my gansey to be finished before I get going on a zodiac potholder or two....or three. 

And yes, the dragon gansey is progressing.  I am on the sleeves, knitting them two at a time, and I have already started the decreasing.  No point posting a picture because progress pics don't look that much different than last week.  

I did take an evening to work on my third advent gnome






However, while on The Net Loft's zoom meeting this week, and last, someone talked about a toy they were knitting and talked about this book.


I snapped it up on Amazon on Thursday, and it arrived Friday afternoon.  

Oh My Goodness but the patterns are sooooo cute and each of the twelve animals comes with a wardrobe you can knit for them too. 

Of course I could use the random colours of Brava Sport I have in my stash, but the designer had used this cotton yarn, Scheepjes, and, well.......

After a visit to Yarn Canada, and then finding another local yarn shop that sold the colours that Yarn Canada didn't have I may have (ok I did) order close to three hundred dollars worth of yarn to add to my stash. 

I want to make ALL the animals in the book, and I have to admit I haven't been this excited about a new set of projects since I made the rabbit and elephants for my grandnieces and grandnephews a number of years ago. I ordered ALL the colours, and I can't wait for them to arrive so I can get going on my first one.  Of course I haven't decided which one will be the first one - so stay tuned. 

Little Cotton Rabbits design by Julie Williams

There was also a knitpicks order for some sock yarn, because, well, I can never not be knitting socks, and anyways I needed more Red Brava Sport for the Christmas Tree Skirt I am making.  I gave up waiting for the White Brava sport to be in stock (the website keeps saying SOON, and then changing the SOON to a date further into the future.  I ordered some Cascade 220 washable white wool instead and that will do for the balance of the skirt. 

After I ordered the Hawthorne sock yarn in a pack of seven colours called Arctic Lights fade, I realized that these were the same colours I ordered last year.  I guess I really do love those colours!




Oh, yes, and my leather knitting pouch and long needles have been shipped, although with all the nonsense at our borders with the trucker convoys I imagine getting it delivered will be delayed.  

Speaking of delays - it seems that organic brown rice has been hard to keep in stock on the grocery shelves and whenever we do our grocery orders the stores are more often that not out of it.  So dh decided to take matters in hand and ordered 25 pounds!  It too needs to be shipped but at least it is within Canada and not having to come across the border.  We will be okay for brown rice for the rest of the year I imagine!

My week was busy with medical appointments but I survived them all.  I don't get the results of the echo until March 11, but my teeth are cleaned and shiny (although I do need a crown replaced), and my eye infection seems to be on the mend.  

We have had a few sunny and warm days in a row and besides walking we did prune back our apple trees from encroaching on the neighbours yard (and hopefully deter Mr. Bear), and we sawed up our Christmas tree along with some other deadfall in the backyard.  We now have two bins of debris to be picked up and three more boxes of fire wood.  My husband also saved some on the apple wood for the barbeque.  Nothing like planning ahead. 

It really does look like Spring is not too far away.  Crocuses are springing up (see what I did there?) all over our front yard.


Just in time for Valentine's day, by red Amaryllis has come out in bloom. 



And of course, no Sunday post would be complete without this little gem



Happy Super Bowl Sunday - go Bengals go!

And Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow.  

Let's make this a good, or even great, week!


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about the knitted friends. They do look terrific. I can see some in the future for my new granddaughter. I love crocus. Unfortunately so do the chipmunks so all of mine are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have gotten some lovely treasures in the mail the last two weeks. The book you ordered! It is going to be so much fun to watch you make the animals and their Wardrobes. You do such a grand job on Stuffies. Your #3 gnome is just precious. But, the most precious item in today's blog is your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy! We get to watch you knit more toys! Can't wait to see what you come up with with all your new yarn! I'm not very good at making brown rice, but I have finally conquered white. And now you've made me want to go make a pot of it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jude on the Stranded podcast has this book and has been making the duck and it’s very cute. The excitement we hear in the words you write make me know that $300 of yarn is well worth it. I’m sure you will love knitting them and I’m sure your beautiful granddaughter would treasure any that you can part with when finished. Boy those advent gnomes really are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little gnome is cute. All your treasures coming in the mail is so exciting! Your book is so cute and I am just on the verge of ordering a similar one except for crochet and it too has wardrobes for all of them. So fun! I can't wait to see yours! You have a great week too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute little gnome! I was looking at that sock set the other day. I’m starting to put a Knitpicks order together. I want to get some sock yarn to dye with my daughter this Spring/Summer and want to try a new yarn. The animals are adorable. That looks like it will be a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute little gnome! I was looking at that sock set the other day. I’m starting to put a Knitpicks order together. I want to get some sock yarn to dye with my daughter this Spring/Summer and want to try a new yarn. The animals are adorable. That looks like it will be a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some lovely acquisitions this week. The rice made me chuckle as I have been known to do similar - I won't run out of vegetable oil anytime soon or bread flour!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.