Sunday, April 24, 2022

Yopping Update #43 - Double-Knitting is my happy place

  Follow my blog with Bloglovin



The test knit socks are done and I LOVE them, but I won't show them off until the pattern goes live.  

Since April is almost gone I got down to my April Advent Gnomes - #7 and #8

Look - Arms!


I have arms tooooo

I still dislike duplicate stitch, but it is getting easier

Then I decided to wind up the hemp I bought some time ago and make a new kitchen cloth in double-knitting so that the colours are reversed on the opposite side.  

Tree of Life

reverse side - tree of life

This one is a gift, but I have enough hemp to make another one for our kitchen too. 

I noticed one of my kitchen ones had a big hole in it - so I frogged it, and I am making my son one as his are getting a little raggedy too.  

from this....

to this....


adding these little leftover balls, and....

you get the beginnings of a kitchen cloth

other side

I also knit a little sandpiper out of some left over frangipani yarn I have - the pattern comes with five variations, and I am definitely going to make more of them. The pattern is on Ravelry here. The pattern is free if you send a handknit bird to Cordova Alaska for the Copper River Delta Birds by Hand festival.  I didn't make mine in time to get in the mail for this year, but I sent my peace dove which safely arrived there last week.  

Now resting in Cordova, Alaska


Now roosting in my livingroom



Speaking of birds I did get a good photo of our resident Heron fishing in the pond at the end of our block.

I even caught his reflection!

And on more bird news I also ordered a watercolour journal and some new paints, which I finally sat down to play with this morning.  




it is a beginning
So that is my week in a nutshell.  I just got the pattern for a new sock to test knit, so I will get going on that as well as finishing the kitchen cloth.  Both are good TV knitting. I am currently binge watching Station 19.  I do love those firehall dramas. 

I have ordered the frangipani wool for my son's gansey.  It was less expensive to order it from the UK rather than the USA.  Go figure.  I hope it gets here soon - I can't wait to cast on.  I will start with just the waistband and plain knitting part while he still has to decide on which motifs he wants.  

And in other news my granddaughter has apparently been crowned Queen of her little village:

bestowing blessings on the pregnant neighbourhood cat

It is hard to believe May will be here my next Sunday!  I don't know where the time goes.  (Of course not getting up until 9 or 10 every day is probably part of where my time is going).

I wish you all a good week, and yes, world peace would be amazing as well.  





5 comments:

  1. Well despite your late starts you are still managing to be very productive! I love the days when I have nothing in particular to get up for but then I usually berate myself later for not getting up and getting things done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been very fiber busy this past week. As always, your gnomes make me smile. The birds you knit are lovely. You really rocked them. I am always in awe of your double knitting. You make it look easy and quick. Your grand daughter is precious in her queen lyrics crown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely project updates this week, I love those birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to know your dove will be joining other handmade birds. Those gnomes, just keep getting cuter. I have no idea how to double knit perhaps I’ll add to next YOP list. It’s not letting me log in for some reason, Liz (Highlandheffalump)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an amazing painter. I just love seeing your work. My artist friend is coming this Saturday to bring us the final of the 4 paintings and varnish the other 3. I am so blessed to have her paintings hanging in my home. What an interesting bird knitting idea. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.