Sunday, May 1, 2022

Yopping Update #44 - 3D crochet and other news

 


I have a couple of finishes - my son's potholder




and I made a going away gift for my neighbours who moved yesterday



I have finished the first test sock - well except for kitchenering the toe - and I will post pictures once the design goes live. 

The big news is I ordered this book and it arrived yesterday


and last night I worked on my first square:


I used my stash of Brava sport, and today I am going to tackle the sheep that you can see on the front cover of the book. 

The other exciting news is I got sorted in Hufflepuff in the Harry Potter Knitting/Crocheting House Cup group on Ravelry and today is the first day of the Spring Term challenges.  From here until the end of July anything I make will be for points for my house.  It probably sounds silly, but it is very motivating for me to craft for points and my fellow badgers in the Hufflepuff den are fun to interact with.  

My back is royally f&$*#@^d up.  (By the way did you know that the string of characters used to indicate a swear word is called a grawlix?)  I went to the physio last Wednesday and go again this Tuesday.  I was needled, tractioned, taped and manipulated and sent home with some gentle exercises to do.  I have been trying all sorts of different pain relievers and none work (well except for one that just zonked me out for a two hour nap!

I did get out for one bird walk despite the discomfort and got this cute shot of a Spotted Towhee among the dandelions.


I also wandered by a murder of crows - not sure why they were all gathering there - it reminded me of a scene from Hitchcock's The Birds!  The picture doesn't do it justice - I counted about 25 as I walked about six steps. 


My other new habit in the making is bullet journalling.  I spent all day Thursday setting it up and I have some new coloured pens arriving from Amazon today to make it even more fun.  Who knows?  I may get organized yet. 

pages to track my Hufflepuff projects

I have also decided to cold sheep (not buy anymore yarn) for the next three months (at least).  I mean really I think between my Brave Sport and my cotton I am good for whatever projects I want to tackle. 


And anyways the Frangipani arrived for my son's gansey - It only took nine days to arrive from the UK.



My apple tree is beginning to bloom.  Despite the cold weather Spring really is coming. 


Last, and of course not least my daughter sent this picture of my granddaughter's french braided hair. 

I loved french braiding her Mom's hair - so the tradition continues.

Okay - now it is time for lunch and then a gentle walk in the trails near my home.  Take care, dear Readers.  Let me know in the comments how Spring is Springing in your neck of the woods.


10 comments:

  1. I have never been able to french braid. Love the looks of it. Your finished projects are great. It is going to be fun to watch you mount up points for your potter house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you will be clocking up lots of points for your Hufflepuff team mates. Not sure about the cold sheep lasting for 3 months though lol. Hope your back improves. Love the picture of the little bird not so keen on so many crows together though. Definitely a bit creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back pain is so difficult to treat. I wish you only the best. I can't imagine dealing with it. Good luck on your yarn diet. Ordering advent calendars sure blew my yarn diet!! So do have beautiful yarns in your stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just FYI - this comment from MaureenHD

      Delete
  4. You have been busy! I have looked at that 3D crochet but haven't tried it. Is it difficult? I did download a free Christmas blanket pattern but I haven't started it. I love the little towpee...so cute. Sorry your back is bothering you....pain of any kind really messes with your productivity. I hope you feel better soon. I love French braids....she looks so cute in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't difficult if you know how to crochet in the front loop or back loop or around posts. And there are lots of you tubes. The instructions in the book I got are very clear plus I learned a lot from the videos that came with the Wrapped in Jaimie CAL

      Delete
  5. A grawlix?! I love that. I learned something new! I hope your back feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no your naughty back misbehaving, I hope you get better soon as it must be so frustrating. I can French braid but my sister can’t so I was always on braiding duty when visiting her. Now my niece is 16 so probably can do it herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was from me (Liz - Highlandheffalump)

      Delete
  7. Spring finally sprung, our cherry blossoms have blossomed. And have fallen, blanketing everything in their path pink.

    After all the yarn purchases I've made, I think I need to join you on the cold sheep bus for a few months too!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.