Sunday, December 4, 2022

Yopping Along - better late than never

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin


I am sadly behind in my yopping update and I thought I was only a couple of weeks behind and not a whole month!  I am here now so let's get updating. I think this is the update for the 23rd week. 

I finished the last four advent gnomes just in time for December 1st.  My granddaughter is enjoying playing with them as we count down to Christmas.  Four down - Twenty to go. 









and here they all are ready for their day by day reveal:


including Saint Gnicholas



November 25th was International Gansey Day and our intrepid leader put together a collage of many of the ganseys we have knit for the Cordova Gansey Project

can you find me?  

I have been knitting socks - but they are all testknits for next season's SuperSock World Challenge so no pictures to show.  Two done - ten to go (I am knitting shorty singles just to make sure I understand all the patterns since I will be a moderator once the race begins). 

There has also been a blanket, 2 pillows and a bed knit for my granddaughter's dollies. 




side one of doubleknit pillow

side two (what was I thinking)



BirdSong and I are still trying to get along.  I do love this pattern, but it hasn't been easy.  I mistakenly did the bottom rib of the sweater in two colours because I didn't read the instructions correctly and I a) didn't like the stiff feeling of the ribbing, or b) how it lay against my hips,  so yesterday I frogged all three inches and picked up 280 stitches and started the ribbing again with just the main colour.  I am much happier now, but that has set me back a few more days.  I have the decreasing done on the first sleeve, and need about 3 more inches for doing the cuff - which is supposed to be the two colour ribbing.  




Note to self - read the instructions carefully and don't blunder on thinking you know what's going on.

I hope to be done by Christmas - maybe sooner if no more hiccups arise. 

I am knitting myself another Gnome.  I didn't joing the KAL this month but decided to make another Oh Gnome you Didn't for myself as I have given the other two away.  By next week I will probably have her done and can show her off. 

I do have plans for a gansey throw - I have the pattern and the wool - and when Birdsong gets too much I will start on the squares.  The square patterns were posted on the The Lowestoft Gansey Project on facebook.

I will be here with my daughter for another six weeks or so before heading home.  I have to leave because my visitor visa is only good for three months out of six.  I hope to return in May once I am eligible to come back into the country.  I have permission from the Police Department here to overstay a wee bit, because flights are soooooo expensive in December.  At this point it looks like I can get home for a more reasonable price in mid-January.  It is challenging dealing with red tape in a foreign country but so far it is going okay.

I have been swimming everyday for 15 minutes as long as there are no thunderstorm warnings (which there are yesterday and today).  The sea is about 14C but I am layering up my bathing suits, and I have my neoprene gloves and silicone cap which makes it quite doable.  

My dh has joined us now so we are both on the same timezone.  Makes chatting much easier!  

I will try to not let another month go by before posting my next update - I really don't know where the time goes!

If you want to follow other Yoppers their updates are on the top righthand side of my blog.  I am sure anyone that crafts for Christmas is racing the clock to get their projects done before the 25th.  If that is you - I wish you smooth crafting and no frogging.  (That goes double for me!)

6 comments:

  1. Mary-Ann, the gnomes are delightful, your lucky granddaughter! I love Birdsong, the pattern is beautiful. Your swimming sounds invigorating! Folks in Maple Bay on the Island swim in the ocean too. Good luck with your projects, and enjoy your family time. Pat Durose (Roff)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you and glad you get to spend so much time with your daughter and granddaughter. It will be nice to have May to look forward to as you make it through the cold winter months in Canada. Your Birdsong is just so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely that you will be spending Christmas with your Granddaughter. Good luck with all the knitting projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to be able to spend that much time with your daughter and granddaughter. Those Advent gnomes are precious. Your birdsong is gorgeous. You will get a lot of wear out of it in these cold winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m glad you will all be together for Christmas and hopefully you overstaying won’t stop you being able to return in May. Spending time together this Christmas should be made all the more fun by those gnomes! Your jumper with the birds is beautiful. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice that you are spending the time with your family! The swimming sounds great and the gnomes are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.