Monday, January 9, 2023

Yopping Update #28 - More things I can't show you

 


This past week I mostly spent researching different gansey motifs for the next twelve squares.  I settled on  Hearts, Diamond, Tree of Life and Scottish Flags:





I finished another testknit sock which was quite enjoyable.  I am just making one of each sock, but creating fraternal pairs by using the same yarn for two different socks.  I will be quite the fashion forward I think. 

My husband's suitcase is still lost somewhere between Croatia and Vancouver.  It has been twelve days so there isn't much hope that it will surface.  Upsetting to say the least and now he has to go through the hassle of a) making a claim, and b) replacing the missing contents.  So annoying, and of course now I am fretting about when I fly in a week because most of my luggage are things I have knit while I have been overseas.  Luckily my husband and I swapped carry-on bags before he left and I plan to stuff mine with knitted things plus wear both sweaters and the shawl and maybe two pairs of socks.  I will look like the Pillsbury Doughgirl, or the Michelon (wo)man - suffice to say I will be warm.  The gnomes (all 27 of them) are already packed in the carry-on.  I have my priorities straight!

I did manage three more cold water swims this past week, but not today because it is very stormy at sea and there are warnings about thunderstorms so I am staying in safe and dry for the time being. (Well, I do have to go out to get some milk and tea, but I am hoping the rain will stop shortly so I can dash out and back without becoming the proverbial drowned rat.) 

After I finish this post I am going to cast on another sock - actually a match to one I made last week - I can't just have fraternals in my carry-on. 

I fly home in eight days.  The time has gone by too fast and I am still trying to get my overstayed visa issue worked out.  The woman I originally talked to doesn't seem to be working this past week so tomorrow I have another name and number to call.  Fingers crossed I won't be thrown out of the country and become persona non grata. 

I have entered all my blanket squares into the Harry Potter House Cup Challenge and the toque and mitts I want to make as part of a KAL with a dear friend are not to be started until January 21st at which time I will be home (and hopefully so will my suitcase).  

I hope the new year is treating you gently.  We have all been fighting (and mostly winning) against the cold that arrived at the end of 2022.  Not the funnest way to start a new year I can tell you.  

(I know funnest isn't a word - but this cold doesn't deserve proper vocabulary!)



5 comments:

  1. I love gansey motifs! And I knew what you meant when you said "funnest" so that means it's a word, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad to hear about your husband's luggage woes. As soon as he gets all the necessary paperwork filed it will probably show up. You certainly have had a looong visit with your daughter and grand daughter. You jave made some lovely memories with them. When you dress for your flight home, make sure a photo is taken of you and your outfit lol. I have a daughter in law who has not worn matching socks in years. It is her trademark. Your gansey samples look great. What will they be going into this time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an engineer - I have zero patience for grammar snobs. The point is to communicate. Objective accomplished. :) Sorry to hear of the luggage issue and the visa issue. I too hope you don't have future travel issues. I'm sure hubby will be glad to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea you were still in Croatia.....what a wonderful long visit you've had holidays included! So happy for you. I hope your husband's luggage shows up. Love the Gansey motifs....will they be a blanket at some point? Have a safe trip home. You and your luggage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll keep my fingers crossed your baggage makes it home WITH you and that your husband's stuff also finds its way home to him. Maybe just putting in a claim will transfer it from lost to found!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.