Monday, August 8, 2011

home again, home again, jiggety jig

Well, we are home, albeit for only a day before heading off once more. Believe it or not our truck broke down again as we left Vernon on Sunday to drive home. 40 kms past Kamloops on the Coquihalla Highway we lost power steering, power brakes and coolant. Well! That can't be good.

We got pulled off the highway (barely), and sat watching/feeling traffic whizzing by at 120 kph! Luckily we were in cell phone range, and since the truck is still under warranty we called Chrysler road side assistance. Within 45 minutes the tow truck arrived, and towed us back to Kamloops and the Dodge dealer. Did I mention it was Sunday?

So, there we are, dropped on the road outside the Dodge dealer, beside Hwy 1. The tow truck driver drove us to a restaurant because it was 4pm, and we hadn't had lunch. Can you say 'low blood sugar'? After lunch we started to walk back towards the truck and stopped at a starbuck's for an iced coffee and free wifi!

We then walked the remained 2kms back to the truck, in the heat, alongside the highway. Man, it was hot!

By the time we got back to the camper it was 8pm, and we decided to boondock it on the street rather than get a hotel. How bohemian? It was a noisy night being beside the highway (and the train yard), but luckily I sleep like the dead.

At 7:30 we were the first at the door of the dodge dealer, and by 10:30 we were on the road (with a new water pump, serpentine belt, and replaced coolant).

So, that was exciting.

We got home by 6pm without any other incidents, and I marvelled at how beautiful our mountains, and rivers, and farmland is. I am lucky to live here.

So, home, laundry done, bills paid, and bath completed. Ahhhhh!

It was a wonderful holiday. I feel good, and rested, and sun-kissed and inspired. On Wednesday I head to the little island to visit with my sister and brother-in-law, and two brothers. I plan to lie on the beach and swim and talk and talk and talk.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.