Monday, February 9, 2015
Twenty Five thoughts while swimming
I stole this idea from Michelle of Rubber Shoes in Hell - I don't commute anymore, but today while swimming her post resonated with me and I started my list.
Sometimes when I swim it is meditative and relaxing and wonderful. Today? Not so much.
1. 1:15 Free day at the pool, really? Oh my god, where did all these people come from?
2. 1:15.01 Man this water is cold. I wonder how many lengths I will have to swim till it doesn't feel so cold?
3. 1:20 Wow, this is going quite well. I think I could do an hour swim today. I am so in the groove.
4. 1:24. only 1:24? really? Is that clock right?
5. 1:30 We are in the medium/fast lane people - read the sign - you should be able to do two lengths in 60-90 seconds, not one length. Jeez.
6. 1:31 I think I am having a stroke...Why do my arms feel so tingly? I hope the lifeguard is watching me and not all those kids on the bouncy castle.
7. 1:35 - Man I just hit my head on the wall. Why aren't the flags up? ('cause of the stupid bouncy castle)
8. 1:37 So much for 15 minutes of backstroke I seem to be swallowing half the pool.
9. 1:38 I don't really have to swim for an hour. I could just do my 48 minutes and call it a day.
10. 1:40 What is that woman doing on the pool deck? It looks like she is warming up to throw the shot-put - I bet when she gets in the pool she will be fast!
11. 1:40.01 Nope, wrong about the fast thing.
12. 1:44 - ok backstroke is working better now - man my broken arm hardly clicks anymore.
13. 1:45 - when I look at the ceiling I see a lot of concentric circles - weird cataract surgery phenomena.
14. 1:47 - ok, this is going better - half way and back in the groove.
15. 1:50 how does that guy swim so fast when he is practically dragging his feet along the bottom?
16. 1:55 Free day at the pool? This could mean I might run into ex-students while standing naked in the shower. What to do? What to do?
17. 1:56 Hot tub....I am so going in the hot tub after this.
18. 2:00 hey I might as well go for the hour.
19. 2:01 good idea - I will sprint every other 25 meters.
20. 2:03 No matter how fast I go (or think I am going) my time is always the same - 30 seconds.
21. 2:05 I like this relaxing backstroke to recover from the sprint.
22. 2:06 Note to self - leave more room between you and the other swimmer when doing backstroke. (Second banged head of the day)
23. 2:08 Only seven more minutes - I can do this.
24. 2:10 Man I have to pee. Why do I always have to pee when I swim?
25. 2:12 this is it - One more sprint, and one more cool down lap.
Then I peed and then I had a long soak in the hot-tub, and no ex-students in the change room.
Some days you take what you can get.