Sunday, January 27, 2019

Yopping Update #30 - Home


Yes I am home.  Thursday was ALL day travelling - a total of 26 hours and despite a couple of seat mix-ups on two of the three flights we arrived only an hour later than we were supposed to.  I was home by 9:30 pm (my time) and in bed and asleep by 10pm.

Of course due to the nine hour time change I was up at 4 in the morning so I did this:


Made coffee in my favourite mug and started to read my knitting magazines that had arrived while I was away.

The house is in good order and Otis (the cat) seemed happy enough to see me.


Friday was mostly laundry, chinese food for lunch (YUM) and a wee bit of grocery shopping.  I was in bed again by 10pm, but up between 4 and 9.  Then back to bed for a couple of hours.

Once up and fed I started to put Marie Kondo's ideas into practice.  First up underwear drawer:

Then t-shirt and jeans drawer:


and finally...... drum roll please....my hand made sock drawer.



Then I sorted out my knitting supplies and re-organized my stash.



I did start some knitting on Friday - after a week of NO knitting. 

I started the Prairie Shawl with wool I had reclaimed from a partly crocheted sweater at the free store:




And I started the KAL sampler blanket that is in my Simply Knitting magazine.



There are two squares per issue for six issues (I am currently on my first issue).  I will use left over bits and bobs to do this.  You knit three of each square.


this one has bobbles!




Last night I decided to knit another key fob cover out of some rainbow hemp I had.  The one I knit a year or so ago was looking pretty shabby.  I am very happy with this one - another successful use for double-knitting.


While I was sorting out my knitting projects I decided to frog my Tunisian crocheted sampler blanket.  I will find something else to do with the wool.

I have re-acquainted myself with my two crocheted baby blankets.  They are on my now, ever growing to-do list. 




Now that my sleep is almost turned around I need to start prepping for two courses I am teaching in the middle of February.  Maybe tomorrow.  Today I need to 'Kondo' my linen cupboard!

So.  I am home.  Missing my daughter and her daughter like crazy but so thankful for WhatsApp so we can stay in touch and receive pictures like this:


I am not as teary as I thought I would be coming home.  Perhaps the distance has not yet sunk in yet.  I am looking forward to our first video chat this coming week. 

I can finally show you the last baby knit that I gave my grand-daughter just as I left:



That's it for me.  To follow other yoppers check out their progress here.




11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're keeping busy and settling back into your routines here. I know it will have been a wrench to leave the family behind but yes isn't WhatsApp and video chatting great for keeping in touch? Ha, I Kondo's my underwear, t-shirts and socks today! My socks are not as impressive as yours though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your journey was good. It must be nice to back in your own space, but I bet you are missing them like crazy. At least you are keeping busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did my t-shirt drawer that way a couple of years ago and it is sooooo much better and easier and foldlines don’t get so creased. I need to start doing my other clothing drawers, as I am jealous of your lovely organised drawers. Great to hear you arrived home safely and what a lovely photo of your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness you have been busy since you got home!!! Lots of great projects...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you traveled safely. You have been very busy since being home. Seems Marie Kondo is quite the thing this year. Might need to check her out. How did you manage 1 week without knitting? Sounds like you have plenty of project ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to hear that you arrived home safely Mary-Anne and it must be nice to be home in your own home and I can only imagine how much you miss your daughter and grand-daughter. It's good you are keeping busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On my! Look at those gorgeous socks! If I had such beautiful socks, I'd Kondo them too so I could enjoy gazing at them. :) It will be fun watching your KAL Sampler grow. What pretty colors are in the original. And lastly, but most importantly, I'm glad to read your return to home hasn't been difficult. I'm guessing there will be teary moments, but behind those tears will be the great joy of the new little gift in your lives. What a blessing it has been to us (your readers) to have been brought along as you met your precious granddaughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another Marie Kondo fan! I'm still on step #2 Books which will take me awhile but the clothes are all organized and staying that way...love it! You are a much faster knitter and a much faster de-clutterer than I am.
    Your daughter looks like you for sure! Fun projects you have going. The sampler blanket is cool and what Prairie shawl are you doing? I looked at one from Premier yarns and there was one from Kyoto?
    The baby item is so cute and the baby blankets are too.
    Glad you got home safe and sound and so glad you can face time with your daughter and grand daughter....that will ease the separation.
    Enjoy being home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job on the Marie Kondo'ing for your drawers. I hope to do a bit of that this week. This weather of ours trying to rain has given me a sinus headache in addition to not being able to sleep well last night so I'm pooped and have excused myself from any CNY cleaning today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course the first thing you did upon waking was read a knitting magazine! Hehehe
    Welcome home!
    Which way to travel is easier? West to east or east to west? I remenber suffering bad jet lag going from easy to west but can't remenber coming back.
    I heard that WhatsApp might be sold. I how it stays alive so you can use it like you do.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.