Sunday, May 5, 2019

Yopping Update #44 - Left isn't Right


Monkey - "Hello, I am over here.  A stuffed head, an unstuffed body, and one leg.  Hello??? Anyone, there?"

Mary-Anne - "Shush Monkey, I am trying to figure out this whole 'crocheting with my left hand thing'.  I have realized two things.  One, you are annoying.  Two, when you crochet with your left hand, the pattern is reversed. 

Monkey  - "Hear no evil"

Mary-Anne - "No, really look at this."

Leaning to the left
Leaning to the right


Monkey - "See no evil"

Mary-Anne - "Come on, you have to see the difference"

Monkey  - "Speak no evil"

Mary-Anne - "Argh.  You are so annoying.  Also my tension is much tighter with my left hand.  What's up with that?"

Monkey - "I need another leg, just sayin', plus I have been crocheted only with your left hand, so who cares!"

Mary-Anne - "You are such a nag, so now you are being put away in the time-out bag.  Bye-bye!)



Monkey -"Nooooooooo" 


Monkey - muffled words, probably not family friendly.


So yes, I am on my 4th left-handed square (this blanket was started last fall some time) and I suppose blocking will help the size difference, and I have decided it will be a design element to have four of the five squares leaning a different direction.

So no, left isn't right.  (But I still believe in DOG)   - little dyslexia humour.....

There was a Michael's incident a few days ago, but, hey, I got 40% off this crochet hook set and case.  The coloured hooks came with the case, and the rest are mine.

And I got two more skeins of the Loops and Threads Joy DK yarn to finish the above lefty/righty blanket.  (also 40% off)

I love this yarn - it is very soft and lovely to work with (and at the sale price 3.99 a ball!)

I continued a little with my lopi slippers using the Portuguese knitting style, but because I seem to also knit with much tighter tension with this style, and because I am knitting with roving - it also aggravated my arm. Still, one is done waiting to be felted and the other will be slow going with only a few rows a night.

Looks like it would fit a hobbit, but hopefully it will felt to the correct size.



I have painted a little this week which felt good, and today I am off to a craft fair with my Croatian teacher - so we shall see what I come home with.   Retail therapy and time with friends is almost as good as physio therapy for my arm, right?

Some of you have asked if surgery is in the future - It doesn't look like it.  My doctor and physio believe that physio and time will get me going again.  It is a partial tear, which means there is still some tendon attached to the bone which is a good thing.  I also talked to my physio about swimming and she suggested I could side stroke, or kick on my back.  Duh.  I am such an all or nothing thinker at times.  Of course I can still go to the pool and propel myself through the water - so I am working on that and made it to the pool three times this past week.

Okay - I am off to get my haircut before the craft fair - wishing you all a good, healthy week!

To follow the other intrepid yoppers as we head to the finish line of July 1 - check them out here. 


10 comments:

  1. Good to know you're able to do some swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, no surgery is a good thing. Hopefully your shoulder will start to get a better so you can go back to right handed crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your humor is great appreciated, Mary Anne. :) I'm glad to hear that physio may be enough for your shoulder to heal! Be good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you have some options. I didn't think about how stitches would lean when crocheting with a certain hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are not facing surgery. Side stroke is my current stroke of choice and the first one I was able to do again after being bedridden for so long. It uses the least energy. I find it very relaxing and effortless.
    It is not surprising that your tension is tighter with your left handed crochet. It is really common for beginners to have their tension extra tight and your left hand is a beginner isn't it? I'm sure we've all done it (too tight tension when first learning). Practise!

    Also, what a cheeky monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm delighted to hear you have been back swimming and I'm laughing at the all or nothing thinker because that's how I am at times. Hope the slipper felts down to the correct size for you and I love the monkey humour, that had me smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, thank you for your humour! This was such a fun read! And I do hope you enjoy your swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No surgery is always a good thing if you can avoid it - and if you can't, then surgery is a good thing!! It is all perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's funny! I feel a bit sorry for monkey, but then I don't have to listen to his nagging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheeky monkey in time out, love it! Hope he doesn’t stay in there too long, he’s looking like he’s going to be cute. I’m so lazy I rarely use my arms in swimming, I just lay on my back and kick my legs and only hit a pool when abroad, so last pool I was in was in Peru in 2015! I admire your attitude to find work arounds so you can keep doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.