Sunday, May 12, 2019

Yopping Update #45 - Hooking along


Despite my sore arm I have found that crocheting is doable so I finished my basket weave kitchen cloth.  This was done with my left hand - I like this stitch and once I saw how the pattern was unfolding I could crochet without looking at the pattern.  Of course I did frog it back many rows, twice, when I realized that things were going wonky on one side.  I think it is pretty good now and in my kitchen drawer waiting to be put into circulation.


I then picked up and finished the lopi slippers and felted them - FOR THE WIN!!  I love them.  They are a perfect fit and sooooo comfortable.



I went back to my crochet mandela sampler blanket I started last year.  I have finished two more mandelas.




My monkey came out of the time out bag on Friday and I finished the tail, the 2nd leg, two feet and two arms. I finished these parts with my right arm - so he is technically an ambidextrous monkey since I crocheted his head, body and 1st arm with my left arm. And then I even put it all together - how cute is he?  The instructions for stitching the toes took three tries, because I couldn't easily follow the instructions and pictures in the pattern, but patience persevered and I did it!


"So glad to be out of the ziploc bag and finished - see?  Nagging works!"


I have finished all the squares for my baby blanket, and I have bought some purple yarn to crochet the squares together.  I am now looking into which kind of join I want to use - I tried the single crochet and didn't like it, then the flat braid and didn't like it.  I want something in between the squares and not just seamed together.  Part of the problem is that top and bottom the squares have chains to work with but the sides don't.   Any ideas crocheters? Any one?

9 squares in search of a border


So, yes, crochet is my go-to at the moment - and I am using my right hand again as long as my elbow is tucked firmly against my side with a pillow under my forearm.

Physio went well on Thursday - lots of IMS needles which I think help quite a bit.  Although I was wallowing in self-pity on Wednesday, by Thursday things were looking up and I got some errands accomplished that have been too long on my to-do list.

On Friday I went for a l o n g walk with a dear friend and we chattered our way to and fro along the seawall.  My feet were a little sore Friday night, but it felt good to be out by the sea in the sun. (I discovered last night that part of the sore foot problem was a sliver festering in my heel - ouch, and I know, too much information!)

Yesterday my dh and I had lunch at the Quay where a Peruvian Tall Ship was on display.  I did get a bit too much sun, but it was lovely watching the tourists come and go as we sipped our coffee at the waterfront. (I also had my first ever Poke  bowl for lunch.  Oh My God - so good!!  How did I not know of these wonderful things before now!)

I bet you were expecting a picture of the Tall ship

Happy Mother's Day to all who mother in whatever capacity they do so.  I like how in England it is called Mothering Sunday - makes more sense because I know so many Mothers of both genders, who mother whether they have children of their own or not. 

To follow other yoppers check out their posts here. 

ok ok  Here ya go (picture from (Tristan Le Rudulier/CBC)

11 comments:

  1. It is called mothering Sunday here, although for some reason it's earlier in the year here! Oh I love the monkey you've made. I'm glad he came out of time out and was well behaved. 🐒

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that monkey! It's so cute, you did a great job! Can't wait to see your finished blanket, I love the colours in the squares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am continually impressed at how well you can crochet with your left hand. The monkey is adorable! Having only joined squares in one blanket, I'm not well versed in joining techniques. But I do suggest that you do a round of single crochet around all of your squares (with your joining color) before joining. It will bring a cohesiveness to the squares, and give you stitches on every side that will make joining easier and neater. I don't imagine that you like this any better than sc's, but this is the technique that I used to joining squares in my Last Dance Blanket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB6VfOBAMgw But again... whatever join you use, you'll have better success if you finish off each square with a round of sc's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I did that tonight (actually a round of hdc) but I think this will make all the difference now in joining them together. I will check out the link.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Becki - make a border around each square - it can be slip stitch, sc, dc or whatever border you like as long as you have the same number of stitches on each side for joins that look even and neat.

      Delete
  4. I just love the Monkey Mary-Anne and well done on all the finishes. Crocheting seems to be really working for you right now and I'm thrilled you've found an outlet for your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That salad looks yummy. I LOVE your slippers; they look so fun and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on Monkey and how cool are those slippers! Don't you love it when it all works out properly, just as you had hoped? I am so impressed with your ambidextrous crafting skills. That's a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea how you are able to crochet with either hand. That impresses me so much. Did the Portuguese knitting hurt your arm also? Or was it ok? Your monkey is so cute. He seems to be quite happy to be out of the bag LOL. I have never had a poke bowl either. Now I need to look it up to see what it is. The Tall Ship is marvelous. I think they always look so majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing that you can crochet with both hands! Love all your progress, especially the slippers though the monkey is super adorable. Have you considered putting a round of sc around your baby blanket squares to make them easier to join?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you go with your crochet! I love the monkey, I'm glad you got back to him. Love the mandalas and the slippers are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.