Tuesday, July 7, 2020

I don't know why I thought this was a good idea

I posted a few weeks back about deciding to reknit a hot water bottle cover that I had been using.  My aunt, who died in 2008, knit it many, many years before she died.  It was getting holes, I had tried to mend the holes but they were getting too numerous.






So what was my good idea?  I decided to frog the whole thing and reverse engineer the stitch and put it back together again. 

Because of the holes, and frayed yarn it came apart in many, many little balls. 

Did that deter me?

No, it did not. 


So I started and after knitting about 8 inches I realized my gauge was way off,


so I go some smaller needles and cast on again.  Sometimes the little balls allowed me to knit a few rows.  Often the little balls displayed a very frayed piece of yarn so I would break it and rejoin.  This has been going on for several nights.  It is good tv watching because it is a simple k2, p2 basket s stitch, but still there are going to be a LOT of ends to sew in. 

I knew going in that I would only have enough rescued yarn for one side of the cover.  I will use some stash for the other side. 

Why. Am. I. Doing. This?

Why can't I just admit that sometimes things just wear out, and are no longer useful.  Sometimes I just need to let things go.  (hmmm. I don't think this post is about knitting, or hot water bottle covers anymore.)

I could blame it on my thrifty mother who taught me to repair frayed cuffs and collars on my blouses.  I could.  But that isn't it.

I could blame it on my tendency to be cheap and not want to spend money.  I could. But I won't.

I could blame my Scottish/Irish heritage to not let things go to waste. 

I look around my house at the three rugs that I made oh so many years ago that are tattered at the edges thanks to a cat of ours.  Well, that and age.  My father died in 1973 and the rug he had started in 1971 I finished in the late 70s.  I made the blue rug sometime after that and the brown one in 1984.  Those rugs don't owe me anything. 

Except in each hooked strand of those rugs are so many memories.  My father, my aunt, my sister, my son, my daughter, the cat. 

When I am rejoining yet another short piece of yarn on the hotwater bottle cover I think about how that yarn went through my aunt's hands.  Her DNA is in that yarn. 

And I just want to hold onto it for some time more.  I want to remember sleeping in her double bed with our feet on that hotwater bottle cover, giggling and reading Little Women. 

I just want to hold on. 

I can't fix everything that is tattered in my life.  I can't hold on to every memory.  But this month it seems it is what I need to do.

Just. Hold. On.

7 comments:

  1. This is very sweet. And gives me much food for thought. I have admired your tenacity for getting the last bit out of yarn (and other things), and have attributed it to you being much more frugal and wise than me. While I still suspect you are, it's interesting to see that the answer is really more complicated than that. I tend to treat old things as precious, somehow. I like the idea of re-using them, but I rarely ever do. And if I do, my thoughts go to ways to preserve them so they become artifacts of a sort. I actually like your way better. You are preserving memories, not just stuff. I think using/re-using something from the past is probably more honoring of their place in our history than creating a "shrine" of a sort, by treating them as precious. No one, but us, will appreciate the sentiments and memories attached to the things of our past. Why not use/use them and use them up - relishing the memories they hold for only us! This may help me see in new ways some things I've been saving...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Becki for your comment and insight. It helps a lot in my musing of why I do the things I do.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Becki and you. I have come to the part if my decluttering where I am trying to let go of items passed on from my family. None of my kids are interested in them. I think that hurts the most. Mary Anne, I admire how you are able to find a way to use things most of us just toss away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have very few items that personally hold good memories and the ones that should have been good memories were spoiled by people in my life. I can't even enjoy music I used to love so much because of the bad memories attached to those songs. I've had to literally reinvent myself and it has taken a long time. It is still painful at times but I keep moving forward and most of the time I am happy and content. So, that has helped tremendously in letting go. You are fortunate that you have good memories but I can see where they can be painful too. Big hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet sweet post - I think what you did really is commendable, and you are giving a new life to something you loved, and will keep it going. The labour of love for those miniballs of frogged yarn, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think as we move forward and the emphasis is much more on reusing, recycling etc you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. I retired last month - very surreal in this time of pandemics - and my father passed away that same week. I have been thinking a lot about what I keep and why. After 41 years in education, I have a lot of stuff. This idea of something that brings those good memories is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.