Sunday, July 12, 2020

Year of Projects Update #2 - Tour de Fleece ftw


This week has been all about the spinning as I continue with Tour de Fleece.  Sunday was a challenge day and I got up my silk hankies and gave it a whirl.

many hankies

one hankie

poke a hole in middle and start to draft

8 hankies spun super fine

I spun 1/2 of the hankies I have and I will spin the rest on the next challenge day which is 16th.  Thanks to the random number generator in the team I am on (Team Pride, Queer Revelry group) I won a prize for my silk spinning.  I will be getting six different sheep fibres to spin.  I can't wait - it is like waiting for Christmas.

I spun, plied, washed and thwacked 200 gms of natural roving that I think was Finn fibre.




and I also spun some recycled raw cycle:






I have 100 gms of peruvian wool that I am going to chain ply this afternoon.



I finished the one side of my hot water bottle cover which was knit with the recycled wool.  There were so many ends to sew in but I am pleased with how it looks.


and then last night I started the 2nd side with some cotton I have.  I had to change stitch count to make the gauges match.

It is going quite quickly since I am not having to stop and start to re-join yarn as I come across thin spots like I did on the first side.  You can read about my thoughts in re-knitting this project here.

Between spinning and knitting the hot water bottle cover I didn't do very much on my Dahlia sweater.  I have started one of the back panels, but I don't think it will get much attention until Tour de Fleece is over.

I realize how quickly my spinning improves when I do it everyday - and I will have lots of new stash to dye once the Tour is over.

There have been many video chats with dear daughter and grand-daughter and I caught this snap of the wave good-bye.

Happy Yopping to my dear Yopping friends, and to everyone else have a good week.  Be safe.  Be well.  Be kind.





11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness you have been spinning up a storm, I have been such a slacker in comparison. All your spinning looks lovely and doing all that silk spinning already. Did I ask you what your plan for the silk is? Embroidery, crochet or knitting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going to add it to some of the other yarn I am spinning to make a wool/silk blend.

      Delete
  2. Those hankies turned into some really lovely fiber. You have been quite busy with your wheel this week. Some very nice yarn will be waiting in your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spining the fiber from silk handkerchiefs! I'm fascinated. Yes, please tell what you're going to be doing with your spun silk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, a prize, well done you! And that silk (is it all silk, the hankies?) looks gorgeous!
    That prize is definitely well deserved - and your gradn daughter is so sweet ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Finn! A friend introduced me to Finn a few years ago. It's so soft. What do you plan to do with the wool you are spinning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to dye some of it and then.....who knows....find just the right project to knit or crochet.

      Delete
  6. Wow, your spinning is fantastic, you willhave a whole host of lovelies when you have finished. Yay for the prize, that is very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I have never heard of spinning silk hankies before! That looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are spinning your little heart out! Truly amazing and silk? Wow! Your hot water bottle cover is turning out really nice. Your granddaughter gets cuter and cuter every week! You stay safe and well also!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you've been busy! The water bottle cover is looking good.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.