Sunday, July 19, 2020

Yopping update #3 - Spin Spin Spin





Tour de Fleece ends today so I have been spinning every day since June 27th.  Sometimes spinning is carding, plying, washing, thwacking, weighing and measuring too. Today is the last day, although it sounds like we are going to go again in August when the actual Tour de France is happening.  Here is this week's progress:

two finished skeins - both chain plied

aiming for 3ply fingering - wish me luck  


first bobbin done - starting 2nd bobbin today

finished spinning all the silk hankies - plan to ply it with fingering (see above) to make a silk/wool blend


first time with turkish spindle

turkish spindle plying
 I was gifted the turkish spindle by the same person that gave me his mother's spinning wheel.  It was a bag of treasures of various drop spindles and two turkish spindles and some fleece too.  There was also some weaving paraphernalia which I identified most of, for example:


antique boat shuttle (bobbin missing)

However, these two 'devices'?  Any ideas what these are? 


made from gourds

I have done a wee bit of knitting on the Dahlia, two panels done for the back, but a picture won't really show the progress so stay tuned for next week progress pics. 

I did finish the hot water bottle cover and have taken it to bed with me more than once this past week.  I am so happy with how it turned out. 

my side -  cotton

Imy aunt's side with re-cycled yarn

I had enough of the green to join one side, and used some left over of her yarn to do the other side.  The neck tie was the original from her cover. 

Otherwise the week has been cooking, sitting in the sun, a little walking, laundry, sleeping in the sun, reading, exercise classes (sometimes on the back deck), eating dinner on the deck (and breakfast and lunch too), and visiting my brother and his significant other in the sun.  Yes, the sun and warmth has finally reached us, and I am taking full advantage until the rains return.  (Which I think is tomorrow). 

 We drove by the local beaches yesterday and I was dismayed at the number of people there.  No-one seems concerned with the pandemic.  We didn't get out of the car, that is until we got a flat tire and had to wait an hour for BCAA to come.  Luckily where it happened we were near a shady tree, and by that time away from the crowds. 

I am happy to be at home today, on my own deck in the sun and away from the crowds.  I am obviously not ready for being around crowds! 

Yesterday visiting my brother was our first social distancing visit since late February.  Progress. 

Okay, the vacuum is calling my name - time to do a wee bit of housework before hitting the back deck again for some serious spinning. 

Don't worry dear readers I haven't forgotten your weekly pic fix:


So carry on all.  Stay safe.  Stay social distanced.  Stay calm (are you listening Mary-Anne). Stay well.



14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Your granddaughter is looking so grown up. And cute as ever! Your spinning looks terrific, and that is a beautiful turkish spindle. Let us know if you figure out what those gourd-topped spikes are. I'm curious now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spinning looks great! And your granddaughter is lovely. Do enjoy the sun and warmth while it lasts. Today, we wanted to go for a ride on our bike, and just when I carried my photo equipment out, it started to pour. I hope summer will return next week while we're still on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your spinning! And that spindle - swoon worthy! I am starting to get myself organized to head down the spinning rabbit hole ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spinning is beautiful! I love the fact that you recycled that yarn since it is meaningful to you. I know,I cannot understand what the problem is with wearing a mask? There are way more stupid people out there than I imagined! LOL!
    Your granddaughter is getting big! Such a cutie and what a precious picture in her little dress. She definitely is smile material! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Becki, your granddaughter looks so grown up, there’s a definite change from toddler to little girl vibe and she is as sweet as ever. I’ve not seen anything like one of those gourd thingies and not sure what it is for..l did wonder whether it’s like a distaff that you put flax in to spin but they look too short and small. There’s a Highland museum that has old weaving and handspinning tools and I wonder if they have such a thing there? Could it be for holding water when you are spinning flax? Hmm interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're definitely keeping busy. Glad you could get the tyre fixed safely. Yep we're not going to crowded places either. Your granddaughter looks adorable as always and yes very grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done a great job during TDF this year. Quite a nice enhancement to your stash.

    Your grand daughter is getting too big too fast. What a precious photo of her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The closest thing I can find to those gourds are babies rattles! If it was a spindle then there’d need more space to wind the yarn onto.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The closest thing I can find to those gourds are babies rattles! If it was a spindle then there’d need more space to wind the yarn onto.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been seeing a lot of spinning and while it is enticing, I will resist so I can finish up some WIPs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the same, I'm not ready for the public yet! I love the spinning, well done. And your granddaughter is looking cute than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have made some beautiful yarns during TdF. Do you know what you are going to make with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet - I am sure the right pattern will come along - I spin for the enjoyment of spinning, not for a specific project....at least not yet!

      Delete
  13. Your turkish spindle is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.