Sunday, July 26, 2020

Yopping Update #4 - Trusting the pattern


First things first - I finished the final two bobbins of my peruvian wool and then plied it with the silk I spun from the hankies.  I am very pleased with how it turned out, although I did get into a bit of a tangle plying when one bobbin ran out sooner than the others.  I untangled the mess and then chain plied the last 22 gms.

I had some silk left over that I chained plied also for a 18 metre mini skein of pure silk.


The rest of the week was spent on the Dahlia.  OMG people - this is the most confusing pattern (and I have knit Elizabeth Zimmerman's surprise sweater).  I am so glad I labeled all the pieces and I think I understand how it all goes together.

Here is my progress up to last night:

two balls of wool left of original five - I think Amiga will have to be frogged to finish sleeves.  Time will tell.

The lace is the back.  The white you see is where the afterthought sleeve will go on the right side.  I have finished the bottom of the back and I am almost finished the top of the back, then I will pick up all the stitches and carry on with the left side of the sweater.  Clear as mud?  I though so.  Maybe this picture from the pattern will help you.
Thank you to Interweave for this mind numbing pattern.  It is slowly starting to make sense, but it is taxing my poor left/right addled brain. My mantra these days - "Trust the Pattern!"

On the non-knitting/spinning front I did have two social distanced events.  I met with two friends at a local park for a couple of hours to chat, and then I met another friend at the plaza near my library.  I brought my own chair both times, and it was nice to visit with people after such a long hiatus.  I will probably give it a go again next week too.

I have been spending as much time as possible in the sun on the back deck, as well as taking my walks to feed the teenaged ducks.

Wishing I was there with them

I won two more prizes in the Tour de Fleece.  My husband says I should go by a lottery ticket.  I will post pictures of my prizes once they arrive - Two bundles of fleece for spinning and a 'mystery' gift.
I am feeling lucky these days.

Take care everyone - this pandemic is far from over and being cautious and sensible is the order of the days to come.  If you want to follow other yoppers check out their posts at the top right of my blog.

12 comments:

  1. Woah that Dahlia pattern looks really intriguing! Glad it's going well for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness I agree, it's a clear as mud..lol But I imagine it will be beautiful when its all put together! Things like that keep us on our toes!
    Getting out with friends and sitting int he sun sound like wonderful ideas. We've been having some seriously hot tropical weather, but I hope to get out and visit some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I start shaking just looking at that Dahlia pattern! You are a braver woman than I! You are also a way better knitter than I am so if you're confused I would probably go off the edge! LOL!
    Your silk yarn looks gorgeous along with your daughter and granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I couldn’t understand what I was looking at in the photo and then I thought oh great we are getting an explanation and diagram but it’s nearly 10.30pm here and I must be too tired for me to understand. Your spun yarn looks lovely with the silk plied with it. I did a similar project with our Guild’s challenge bag and I love wearing the cowl as the silks catch the light, so I’m sure whatever you make you’ll love it. That is great that you have also won some prizes from TDF, it just adds to the joy of the event. If my trip to the wildlife park concerned you then I should have said that the park has numerous measures in place to ensure distancing, a one way system, hand sanitising stations, you had to pre-book and they had limited entry numbers. Scotland has gone 10 days now with no Covid related deaths and the Highlands has very low case numbers and everyone is abiding by the rules. I wanted to reassure you, as there’s definitely someone whose blog I am following who is making me anxious about their movements and actions when the numbers dying in their area are ~100 per day. I wouldn’t want anyone to feel the anxiety about me that I have on another. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you are well and safe and your area is doing so well. Ours has had a bit of an uptick in the last couple of weeks - about 30ish per day, but only 1 death in the past two weeks I think. Congrats on your win too. I can't wait for the mail to come - it is like waiting for Christmas!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous work! You have my curiosity up - I need to go look at the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture of your most recent plied yarn is a work of art! And the picture of your granddaughter (and is that your daughter?) is terrific. They look great, and what a beautiful place to swim that is. Is that where you swam when you were there? I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is my beautiful daughter with her beautiful daughter.

      Delete
  7. I've had "Trust the pattern!" knits before, it is quite a challenge to dive head first into unknown knitting waters. You're doing great, my guess is the end result will be very special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be so interesting to see that complicated pattern finished! I think we all "wish we were there"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, the picture didn't help at all!! I will wait to see the finished article! It looks wonderful but I don't know how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you skeins look lovely! I don't spin, but can so appreciate others projects. And that's a great picture of your daughter and granddaughter..in the Adriatic? My friend in Croatia owns a house on the Adriatic that she rents during the summer, but since my one and only visit was during the winter, I've never been...

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.