Sunday, August 2, 2020

Yopping Update #5 - Kool (Aid)


I figured out how to caption - Phew


Okay, let's see how my patience lasts as I navigate the new blogger platform.  Already I am having trouble adding captions to my pictures.  Sigh.  I hate change. 

I have been knitting endlessly on the Dahlia.  I am about half finished the left side, and then I can start the sleeves.  I am pretty sure I will have to frog Amiga to finish the sleeves but the Amiga was just a plain knit, so I am happy to sacrifice it to finish Dahlia. 

It has been a hot week, and the spinning wheel has been quiet, but I did decide to try my hand at dyeing three of the skeins I spun during Tour de Fleece with some Kool-Aid I bought in Arizona over two years ago.  You can't buy the unsweetened Kool-Aid here in Canada so when I saw some on our two month camper trip in early 2018 I bought a few packets.  Thanks to You Tube I ended up with this:


Not bad for my first two attempts. 

The big news this week is I received my wins from Tour de Fleece.

Now I am ready to spin some rainbow yarn for socks!


A breed sampler - 10 times 1 ounce - plus a diz.  I had to look up how to use a diz, but now I know and will put it to use to make some pencil roving so I have a better chance to make fingering weight handspun. 

It has been hot here and I have been living on the back porch chasing the early sun in the morning and the shade most of the afternoon.  It is a long weekend here and it seems like there are a lot of people not concerned about CoVid-19 - so I am staying home and steering clear of any public beaches or parks. 

My daughter's phone broke so I have no new photos to share with you this week.  If I don't get to have my daily fix whatsapp chats with her and my grand-daughter, then you, dear readers, will have to wait until next week for a photo update. 

Maybe by then I will figure out how to add captions to my pics. 

Arggggg!!  What happened to the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' maxim?


13 comments:

  1. I switched to the new bloggger a little while ago so I'm fairly ok with it now....except they keep tweaking it! Hope your daughter gets her phone sorted quickly. I can imagine how hard it must be for you not being able to chat and see your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even logon to my old blog but thank goodness it's still there, I guess. I hope your daughter gets her phone fixed as I miss my girl...I mean, your grand daughter! LOL! Congrats on all that wonderful stuff you won! WooHoo! You go girl! Your yarn dyeing turned out so pretty! I've been saving onion skins and avocado parts for dyeing someday soon I hope. Take care, stay safe and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new blogger is all messed up in the photo department. I now have to add them one at a time where before I could load several photos and pick and choose which ones to post. So, I feel for you.

    You have some lovely fleece to spin. Congrats on the prize fleece

    Let me know if you need/want more kool-aid. I would be happy to mail some to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun time with kool-aid. And why are all the platforms changing? Argh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those hand dyed skeins look great : do you still have to “cook” them if dyeing with Kool aid?
    The breed fleece sampler lookxx so so exciting, great prize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you use the microwave. I did 4, one minute cycles.

      Delete
  6. Your dyeing has produced some beautiful shades, I have watched some Chemknits (?) videos on YouTube of her trying them and I imagine the house smells all fruity and lovely when you are doing it. The rainbow fibre looks lovely and I don’t think I’ve seen people selling superwash merino/nylon fibre here but it’s a good idea for people wanting to spin for socks. I’ve not managed a consistent sock spin yet...just need to keep practicing. I’m interested to know what your plan is with the breed packs. I have quite a selection of different breeds fibre and had thought it may be nice to do a project that highlights the differences. But what that project will be I don’t know. I hope your daughter gets a new phone ASAP so you can get back to whatsapp calls with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dyeing. I hate change too. I had to get used to the new wordpress editor. Keep at it and you’ll get it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rainbow fibre will make a great pair of socks, and the breed samples will be so interesting.
    I do my posts on my phone and the update has improved that process. I could only upload one photo at a time anyway! Hopefully you will get to grips with it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i will check out blogger on my phone. I had deleted it because it wasn't very good, maybe this new version will be better on the phone. Thank for the tip.

      Delete
  9. Your Kool-Aid colored yarns look great! And you know what... I didn't even know they made Kool-Aid powder with sugar in it, but then it's been a mighty long time since I've bought any.

    What a lot of beautiful fiber - both the rainbow colored and the natural fibers.

    I'm just today working with the new Blogger format. I don't understand how it's an improvement, and I'm already struggling with some bugs - things I had already figured out on the old Blogger. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becki, read the comment below about the canadian kool-aid. I made a boo-boo replying to you. lol.

      Delete
  10. the kool-aid in canada comes pre-sweetened with artificial sweeteners, not real sugar. I especially don't like the new blogger how it works with photos. It was easier before to change size, add captions, delete, etc.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.