Saturday, January 15, 2022

33

 Happy Birthday dear girl,

Thirty-three today, and not a snowstorm in sight neither here nor where you are.  I hope today you are being spoiled by your dear husband and daughter and all who love you.  You deserve to be spoiled. 

It has been far too long since I hugged you - three years to be exact.  A lovely fajita dinner surrounded by family with a wee newborn daughter upstairs too. The time flies.

If you are thirty-three then I must be sixty-six!  And so it is.

I know for certain in my heart that I will be with you in person this year.  We both owe it to ourselves to make that happen.  

The Christmas lights are still twinkling in the window as they do every year.  We always left them up for your birthday and even though you are not here with us, the lights remind me of you with every wink and blink and colour.  


I will take them down tomorrow and that will make me a little sad. 

Today also, my Dad, your grandfather, would have been ninety-eight years old.  Oh, how I wish you could have known him.  How I wish I could have known him for more than seventeen years. But, life unfolds as it unfolds and it seems I have little control over that as I am learning. 

Today is your day.  Today is the day I tell you what a great mother you are and how I marvel at the relationship you and your daughter have.  I hope when she is thirty-three her sixty-three year old mother will remember these years and all the special moments they shared.  I hope that your ninety-six year old mother will be there to witness it.  I plan to.  Shall we make it a date?

Happiest of days, dear one, and all the rest to come. 

I miss you. 

Tu me manques.

Nedostaješ mi.


2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I hope your daughter is having a great day and that you do get to see each other this year.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.