Thursday, June 4, 2015

Depression isn't funny - at least not to me.

I read many blogs by other bloggers who struggle with mental illness.

Many of them can reflect back on their episodes with humour, or irony, or righteous anger with lots of expletives.

I can't do that.

It is never funny for me, and swearing doesn't help either.

Not when I am in it, for sure, but also not when I am out of it.

It is always painful.

It is always the place where I wish to be anywhere but there.

Robin Williams used to tell amusing anecdotes about his struggles with mental illness.

I don't see the humour in them when I listen to them now. I used to laugh with him but felt uncomfortable for him. For me.

Two of my favourite bloggers are hilarious. They see humour in the most mundane conversations or situations they witness or are part of.

I wish I could write hilarious posts like they do sometimes.

Maybe then, days like today would be more bearable.

Maybe.

But, I doubt it.

6 comments:

  1. Humor is helpful, but if you're not there, you're not there. Sometimes you just have to get through the day, one foot in front of the other, minute by minute. We're pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, the humour helps prevent me falling into the black hole. My blog is actually part of my mental health plan. And it helps immensely. Because it connects me with such deeply warmly human people as you. I hope you got some shifting of the fog from writing your touching heartfelt post. You are loved and admired. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you're having a bad day. Hope tomorrow is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Wendy. Humour also helps me to get through, and the whole reason I started blogging. In no way do I think depression is funny though, and it certainly is not something to be taken lightly. I am sorry you are going through such a shitty time at the moment, and send you a hug and all my wishes that you get through it soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Group hug with arms stretched around the globe. xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you all for your support - the clouds are starting to lift - at least for more hours a day than not.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.