Friday, September 21, 2018

Going Dark - Finding Light

I need to go dark.

My blog has become mostly a knitting blog because of my involvement with Year of Projects.  I do also write about my doings day to day, but mostly about my projects.

I used to write more about my feelings and struggles and I miss doing that.

My mental health misses me doing that.

I have always known that I seek the approval of others.  My colleagues, my family, my students, my friends.

I avoid confrontation at a cost.  The cost is that I don't speak my truths about things that I am afraid will cause conflict.

That wasn't so when I was on the board of my school.  I was fierce and outspoken and I like that part of me. But with family I go quiet.

This is true of this blog now.  There are things I want to write about, but then I worry there will be fall out or blow back.

I thought about starting another blog, an anonymous blog, but this morning I realized that if I don't want to publish a post I can not publish a post, but the thoughts will still be there for me to read and reflect on.

So here goes.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a meeting and we were talking about our reliance on the approval of others.

I sat there with my stomach alerting me that I had something to say:

In my pocket I carry my father's worry stone.  On my wrist I wear my grandmother's bracelet which has the regiment badges of the two regiments my father was in during WW II.  It also has a small gold cross.

I have my father's wallet with his university id card and other personal items in the drawer beside me.

His picture is on my bookshelf, and a cartoon of him hangs in the living room.

He is everywhere.

My father died when I was 17.  I miss him everyday.  I am now 62.  I believe that my father loved me as I loved him, although I was told once by my mother that he didn't love anyone.  That he wasn't capable of love.  I didn't believe her then, and I don't believe it now.

His anger was huge.  He could be violent and unpredictable.  I was/am afraid of that anger.

But still I believe he loved me and despite the times my behaviour made him angry I have always believed his love was unconditional.  Unconditional love is something I struggle with. I am not sure I believe it is a thing that a parent will love their child no matter what.  I do believe that a parent will feel a responsibility for and to their child, but unconditional love as an all encompassing concept is a difficult one for me to really stand behind.

So back to the worry stone.

It is ironic that I do worry that I will lose his worry stone.  Sometimes I think I should purposefully return it to the earth or place it on his headstone.

I think about it, but for now it is firmly in my pocket.

So my question at the meeting was is it co-dependent to hold on to my father as I do.  To his memory, to his things?  His dresser is my dresser.  I have his sherry keg on my mantel piece.  Downstairs I have his ice-cream maker.

Things that tie me to him inextricably.

"They are just things. Your father would tell you they are just things."  My mother told me this once when she had spilled red wine on a handmade rug of mine.  I was upset.  She had been drinking.
She knew my Achilles heel.  She was telling me my father would be disappointed in my behaviour.

It is hard to write this. I have been told not to speak ill of the dead.  But memories are memories and some are wonderful and some still hurt all these many years later.

Forgive and forget.

I am learning to forgive, but forgetting is so very hard. 

Physical things hold memory for me.  I have had to let go of physical things that hold difficult memories because if I don't I can't get past the hurt they remind me of.

My father's worry stone, his wallet and my grandmother's bracelet do not hold any such memories.  Instead they remind me that he was just a man, who had a difficult history, who worried, who loved, who had faith, who had a mother that worried about him.

Those things remind me that he was human.

So am I.

And for now, and for the foreseeable future I will continue to carry him with me.

5 comments:

  1. No judgement from me. I "get" you're wanting to hold onto your dad. I am doing the same with my mom.

    This is your blog......use it as you wish. I for one, will be here reading it, even if I don't comment. PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was your dad; you loved/love him so much. This is your space. You own it and no one can tell you otherwise. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea of making a 'home' for the woory stone and other things - so you don't have the weight of carrying the things with you (literally and figuratively) all the time. You can put your worry about losing them aside knowing that they will be safe, waiting for you, right where you left them, in their dedicated home. You need not fear loss of your connection with your father without those things as he is a part of you and he lives within and through you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how wonderful it is when you share your inner life. Your words are so powerful. Rich and raw. Beautiful and thought-provoking.
    I now wear the bracelet my mother wore every day that I remember spending with her. I needed it to find me.
    I was 25 when my dad died. I have nothing of his. Nothing. I argued with him, but I adored him. He and Mum had a difficult relationship. She wiped him out of our lives when he died.
    She sold almost all the jewellery he have her. And kept just one of the gifts he brought her from his overseas business travels.
    A gorgeous blue glass bird from Sweden. I have her now. She reminds me of being loved as a child.
    I hear you.
    You are amazing.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely need to keep posting. I'm sure at times it's very cathartic. I lost my Dad at 22. I have lots of photos and some war records although we never got to speak about the war. (He served during WW2 and was evacuated from Dunkirk.) I miss him probably more now that I have grandchildren because he never got to meet my kids and I know he would have been a great Granddad to them. He was also pretty nifty at DIY whereas my hubby is not. I would worry about losing his things if I was carrying them around with me so I think I would make a safe place for them. He's always with you in your thoughts and heart. Confrontation can be difficult but I don't think your readers here will give you too much trouble. I'd like to think we're a supportive bunch.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.