Sunday, September 23, 2018

Me in the Middle

I am a middle child. 

A really, really middle child. 

Three older siblings all born two years apart, then 4 1/2 years to me.  Then another 3 1/2 years to my younger siblings who are only 14 months apart. 

See? 

Middle Child.

In the early 90s when I was struggling with situations in my family of origin I came across John Bradshaw's  work on Family Systems. 

The middle child.  The peacemaker. 

Yup. 

A couple of weeks ago I wrote down all the times I was 'in the middle' of family dramas. I counted eleven. I few of them I felt directly responsible for because I was the catalyst for the disagreement.  Or, at least, I thought I was. I have since come to realize that being a catalyst is not the same thing as being one of the two substances that react with each other. Often to explosive results.

Yesterday I had an epiphany. 

I wasn't in the middle by nature.  I put myself in the middle.  I took it upon myself to be a mediator, or a peace maker, or a conduit, or the one at fault.

I sometimes tried to intervene.  I sometimes tried to mediate.  I sometimes prayed for reconciliation. I often took on all the blame.

All because of my own issues with confrontation and discord. 

I want everyone to get along. I want everyone to be happy.  I want to put my hands over my ears and sing 'la la la' to block out the anger, or sadness, or disappointment. 

I wanted my family to be like the Hallmark movie of the week. Everyone around the table at Thanksgiving saying heartfelt and kind things to each other. 

I put myself there. 

Only once have I ever been asked to pass a message along from one person who was not speaking to another.  Ironically I didn't.

Once I believed a lie one person told me about another.  It made me suspicious, but still anxious that somehow it was all my fault.

I have though, repeatedly through my life, not told someone what I was doing, or who I was doing it with, if it involved mentioning someone they were in conflict with.  This has happened too with friendships where I was good friends with two people who were not friendly with each other.

I silenced myself to spare the feelings of another.  I hid parts of myself so as not to cause pain.

I believe this behaviour, in part, contributed to my struggle with depression.

I denied my experiences, my loves, my stories so as not to rock the boat. 

One example of my co-dependent behaviour.  There are others, but I am here at the moment.

Me in the Middle. 

Working with this.  Realizing that others are resilient enough to deal with their feelings and their relationships and I don't have to fix them. 

It isn't my job. 

As I often tell others (I am so wise when talking to others). 

Not my circus.  Not my monkeys. 

Pay attention Me. 

Not your circus.  Not your monkeys.

4 comments:

  1. ... and from another angle... caring, sensitivity, compassion... all very positive character traits too. Loving self the right amount ... that’s the hard part as I see it. So many people with power have egos and self-love to the point of narcissism that it makes them ugly and unlovable and often inhumane.
    Being in the middle can also be about balance.
    You are wise. Do pay attention to You.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's always about being in the middle but more about your nature. I'm the youngest but can recognise many of the things you mention. You definitely should listen to yourself - you give good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A deeply reflective post and I commend you on your bravery for being open and for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very insightful and I'm so glad you are able to articulate it and share the wisdom. From a young age I witnessed the desire to 'keep the peace' at all costs eat away at the relationships and self esteem of loved ones around me and I determined that it wasn't the best strategy for solving problems or effective communications. As a child I resolved to be different in my own life and not to fear conflict. Having said that, it's wise to 'pick and choose your battles' being mindful of appropriate times and places to either raise an issue, hold on to it for later if it is important enough or just to let it go and truly be able to let it go. Whatever happens, don't dismiss, disguise or swallow up the 'big stuff' because it will bring you down in the long run. The trick is learning to discern what is worth the fight and not being afraid to fight for your important issues; also learning the skill of truly letting go of all the rest. Like any skill it takes practice and revision. You are on a good path Mary-Anne judging by this blog post.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.