Sunday, January 4, 2015

Work in Progress

I finished 2014 with everything off the needles except my sock-yarn blanket. Since that is a project that will take years I am ok with that.

Here it is January 4, and I already have two projects on the go, and a third one itching to be cast on.

I am making myself a sweater, my sister a pair of socks, and I want to make a shawl out of this beautiful teal yarn I won at my Knit Group's Christmas party.


So, I think it is safe to say I am on the way up. I am feeling better, actually getting out of my pajamas for the first time in two days. I had a good swim, took down the Christmas decorations, and did the dishes.

Tomorrow I am spending with a boisterous two-year old so I will be in bed early tonight. I have the Duplo by the front door so I think I am set. I am hoping she will have a good long nap so I can get some knitting in too.

So, back to my WIPs, or Works-in-Progress.

It reminds me of a post by Rubber Shoes in Hell about being a work-in-progress. Many people decide on January 1 to make resolutions about how to improve themselves. I stopped doing that years ago. It seemed like a set-up from the get go.

But being a WIP is something I can get my head around. In fact, I think I can be any number of WIPs.

So I am gonna work on a lot of projects this year: writing, knitting, spinning, swimming, camping, mothering, communicating, sorting, praying, socializing, gardening, acting, being braver, loving.

It is not about changing, it is about doing.

One day at a time. One WIP at a time. One moment at a time.

I can do this.

I am a Work-in-Progress.

I don't plan to ever be done.

8 comments:

  1. I am with you Mary-Anne. I also don't make resolutions, but there are many improvements I need to make in my life.. I like your idea about being a work in progress as it doesn't put the pressure on to accomplish things in a set time.
    By the way, I love that teal wool, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Edwina. I have found a pattern for the teal, and I will post when it is done. Right now it too is a work in progress :)

      Delete
  2. Love the line "It's not about changing, it's about doing". Often we are unhappy because we need to do more of some things, and less of others. Setting priorities instead of goals is what works for me.

    Your Miette sweater will be lovely by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we are all SOOOOO on the same train... I am mid-way thru a post about New Year's not resolutions too... It's gonna be a good one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty cardigan! What colour will you choose? (Do you have a Ravelry page?)
    My teenagers have no hesitation in bringing to my attention the things I need to work on! hehehe In fact we all have our challenges and everyone helps each other to meet them. This is a conversation we have regularly throughout the year, not just at the turn of a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a dusty rose colour. Yes, I have a rav page. I am Mary-AnneB on ravelry. You?

      Delete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.