Thursday, November 13, 2014

Secret Places

I belong to a secret group on facebook. It is a group of writers who support each other, encourage each other, are there for each other, through all of life's ups and downs, shitty and glorious moments.

We are all survivors of one sort or another it seems, some from deep trauma, some from day to day challenges.

We are poets and authors, bloggers and wannabe novelists.

It is the most inspirational and supportive group of people I have ever had the pleasure to be associated with.

We celebrate each others birthdays, publications, good days, we support each other in our grief, struggles and are there for each other when the world bites us in the ass.

It has inspired me to write daily. Sometimes with a given theme. Often not.

It has given me the joy of reading poetry and prose despite it sometimes evoking great sadness and heartbreak.

I am in awe of how honest people are in this group. Raw. True. Real. Honesty.

It reminds me of the strength of the human spirit that carries on despite addictions, abandonment, abuse, heartbreak and can still rejoice in the love, births, and joys of another.

It is empathy personified and I am so glad I have found each and every one of the members in this group

So yes it is a secret group which keeps us safe.

It is a safe place and one that has made all the difference for me and my writing.

10 comments:

  1. I love the sound of your secret place. How lovely that you are all there for each other, no matter what life decides to hurl at you. It also sounds very inspirational too, with everyone contributing their different styles of writing, there must be much to learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edwina I would love to have you join our group on facebook, if you would like to. We would love to have you.

      Delete
    2. Hi Pamela, Thank you so much for inviting me, it would be a privilege to join you all. My e mail address is edwinasepisodes@hotmail.com

      Delete
    3. this is so great how connection in one community can lead to another.

      Delete
  2. Support groups, no matter online, or in real life are so important. Finding a place to trust people with your thoughts is not easy! I'm glad you've got that safe place to be inspired from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it has made a lot of difference in my mental health for sure. AND Ravelry too, of course.

      Delete
  3. ...your 'heard'... I love that you used that word when encouraging me to keep blogging... thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't the English language fun that way. so many ways to play with words.

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of it. For me, Ravelry is my safe place. Well, less safe and a lot bigger than your fb group, but there are lot of things I couldn't discuss in my entourage I was able to on Rav. Plus, without Rav, I wouldn't have knitting buddies, as I'm very asocial. Ravelry is 98% of my social life, even on fb my friends are from Rav. The other 02% being the craft association I joined this september, but I can muster the courage to go only maybe one week every three weeks. I do better online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, Ravelry is a great place - and I love it for all my knitting related conversations (and a few personal ones as well). It is so great that cyberspace has provided sanctuary for those of us that are not as social, or yearn for a different kind of connection.

      Delete

Add your thoughts....join the conversation.