Thursday, April 15, 2021

M is for Magi

 A to Z(ed) blogging Challenge - (my) Life in the TIme of CoVid-19

M is for Magi

 


In September 2020 I started to knit a Christmas Creche scene.  It had been in my list of things to knit for a while, and so it began. 

I started with the three wise men.  The Magi.  This is where the fretting began.  

The original pattern had the kings in the following colours and ages:  The green and yellow king were young and the red king was the eldest. THe yellow king was the Moor.

the original pattern


I have been involved in the Waldorf/Steiner school since 1989, and they have a Three Kings' festival every year, and the colours I remember weren't the colours of the pattern.  And so it began:

First I went to the bible - trying to find descriptions of the three kings, the colours of their robes, and the gifts each brought, as well as their names and the land they came from.

Then I went to look at paintings I had done with my classes over the years.  

No yellow King

Then I contacted two colleagues to see what their remembrance of the colours and ages was. 

hmmmm still no yellow king, but blue is eldest and green is the Moor

And then? 

Then I came to my senses.  What was I worried about?  Well, honestly I was worried someone was going to come into my house and look at the creche I had knit as I had it displayed on my piano and say something about how I had the colours, and/or ages wrong. 

Um?  Can you say 'co-dependent'! 

This is how fu&k#d-up my brain can be at times.  I fretted over this for a good week or two (as you can see from my logbook) and then I just sat down and started to knit.  Despite my research I started with the Yellow Magi.  And then I combined the blue and green together into one King.   I also changed the colour of Mary's dress and cloak - non-negotiable.My creche, My decision. 

The original pattern didn't have an angel - how could they not have an angel?  Nor did it have a camel, donkey or oxen.  I searched Ravelry and found suitable patterns for the animals, and used the template for the Magis' for the angel - knitting him/her all in white.  (I don't think angels have a gender but using 'it' for the pronoun seemed just wrong.  I suppose I could have used 'them', but then it sounds like there were two angels.)  

Clearly an example of first world problems.

Also, a signal that I need to get out more. 

I love the finished creche and have no concerns about comments from the peanut gallery.

how cute are the sheep?  




 




5 comments:

  1. I'm loving seeing your pictures of finished projects over the past year's time. I keep thinking "I didn't see that when it was finished." I didn't know before reading this that there were any legends written about the colors the magi wore. All of your figures are just wonderful, Mary-Anne. I'm so glad you shared them all here again under the letter M. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all have things we worry about (potentially needlessly). But it allows us time to forget about other things so serves a purpose! I love your scene and glad you added the animals and angel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived your creche you knitted. I never knew you went through so much indecision over it. The colors of the Magi are stunning. Your choices were great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just been catching up on all your A-Z posts. You often manage to amaze me with your determination and your creativity especially when you have an ongoing battle with your health. It would never have occurred to me that the Magi should be in specific colours. Your creche is lovely and why not a donkey?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of them having colours so this must have come from somewhere other than the bible as so little is referenced about them and most of what happens at the nativity is misinterpreted according to QI TV show. Isn't it crazy how our minds can get caught in a loop of worrying about things that in the big scheme seem to others so minor. I know my mind can cycle round and around.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.