Friday, April 16, 2021

N is for Netflix

 A to Z(ed) blogging Challenge - (my) Life in the TIme of CoVid-19

N is for Netflix


Quite early in the pandemic lockdown we started to run out of things to watch on Netflix.  I use the term Netflix pretty loosely because for me the name has become ubiquitous with all streaming services.  We also have Amazon Prime, Acorn, and most recently BritBox.  Our television stopped working at the beginning of December and the new one is a Roku, which comes with its own set of streaming channels. We even had a free trial of Crave for two months.

My sister and I have similar tastes in series so she gave me a few Netflix ideas, and then when I got Acorn she had a lot more to suggest.  My two children as well as other friends frequently suggest movies and series. 

Not trusting I will ever remember their suggestions I started to write them down in the back of my logbook. My husband and I have watched a number of them together.  A few of them I have watched on my own on my computer, or sometimes even on my phone while I knit in the afternoon. 

For me watching television is really just background to my knitting.  I just can't sit and watch television unless I am doing something else.  Folding laundry, doing taxes, playing Wordscapes on my phone, but mostly knitting (well, sometimes crocheting) .  My friend calls what I do (and she does) Knitflixing.

I have learned that we love period series like Peaky Blinders and The English Game.  We enjoy British crime shows like Call of Duty, The Bletchley Circle, and Vera.  We are very fond of British comedies like Trollied and WA1. Recently we have discovered some amazing Australian and New Zealand series like The Circuit, 800 Words, and The Sound. 

I can totally get hooked on teen dramas like Dawson's Creek, and Riverdale.

I binged ALL the seasons of Ru Paul's Drag Race.  Yes, ALL the seasons.  Not even sorry. 

We re-watched all the episodes of The Office, and are currently watching Red Dwarf from the beginning. 

Our evenings are usually one episode of some sci-fi series (The Expanse or Earth Final Conflict), one episode of a crime show (Death in Paradise or Vera), one Red Dwarf, and currently the next episode of The Circuit or The Serpent.  All the while I am knitting either a sock, a shawl, or a sweater as those three projects are in rotation as well.  

Okay, that's it.  Don't judge.  It's been a l o n g thirteen months. 

If you have any suggestions feel free to put them in the comments as I don't think this pandemic is ending anytime soon. 



5 comments:

  1. HI! Visiting from the A to Z - Did you watch The Crown? I loved that. How about Enola Holmes about Sherlock's sister? I loved Grace and Frankie as well with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin.
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have Netflix and I don't tend to watch many series. I like the Sewing Bee, bake off and masterchef etc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There’s so much content on these streaming services but it can be quite well hidden so sometimes a challenge to find. I just re-watched all of the Call of Duty episodes and looking forward to tonight’s latest series episode 5. Some highlights we enjoy, Life in Pieces and This is Us both on Amazon. We are watching Friday Night Dinners which is a funny British comedy you may find on Britbox. I like Vera as well, during lockdown I watched all of the episodes of Silent Witness (which started in the 80s and they still make now!), NCIS, Midsummer Murders, The Office (US), Vera and Law and Order SVU. I have shows as background noise during the day and in the evenings together we watched something like Life in Pieces during dinner, we watched mostly the shows on he normal UK channels and then when I go to bed my husband watches iZombie, Walking Dead or some other zombie or war type thing that I don’t go for. My favourite show this week was the Great British Sewing Bee though, an hour of pure joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Would I Lie To You is another show I’ve been rewatching, that’s probably on BritBox. It’s a funny panel game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not going to judge your choice of programmes. I'm in awe that you can knit complicated socks AND watch TV!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.