Thursday, April 29, 2021

Y is for Yarn

A to Z(ed) blogging Challenge - (my) Life in the TIme of CoVid-19
 
Y is for Yarn


Of course Y is for Yarn.  I don't know how these past fourteen months would have played out for my mental health if it wasn't for my knitting/crocheting obsession  hobby.  2020 was going to be a year where I didn't buy any yarn and to just knit projects from my stash.  Yes, knitters and crocheters call their stores of unused yarn stash.  It does worry me if border guards ever read through my emails or texts where I am discussing stash with my friends.  I could be in for a long border wait. 

I think I broke down and ordered yarn early in the pandemic lockdown so I could knit my daughter a sweater.  Then I started to crochet a blanket out of left over yarn I had, but I just didn't have enough variety of colours, and besides many of my friends were crocheting this Havana blanket and I wanted to get in on the action.  

With the leftovers from the Havana I wanted to knit my Nativity scene, but, oh drat, I didn't have the earthy colours I needed for the shepherds.  

Of course whenever you I order yarn you I have to order enough to get free shipping.  Am I right?  Of course I am right.

Much of my logbook is me desperately trying to de-stash 13,200 yards of yarn as a challenge I had made with my Ravelry friends.  This meant calculating the yardage of every project I made, but also having to include when I added yardage.   (I am pleased to report that I made it by the skin of my teeth on December 30th, 2020.)

The logbook is full of scribbles and notes about weight of yarn, yardage of yarn, colours of yarn, yarn needed, and yarn remaining.  I also should admit here that I go back and forth between yards and metres, ounces and grams.  OMG border patrol....it is grams of wool.  Jeez!

I could commit to just using Ravelry's stash feature and let the program calculate everything for me, but there is something satisfying about getting out my little scale, and putting pen to paper logbook. 

As I have mentioned before I am a wee bit of a math nerd.  And in this time of CoVid there is something to be said for the simplicity of one plus one equalling two.  Or, more often in the case of yarn - 400 yards minus 370 yards equals 30 yards (to make a little dolly or gnome). 

It gives me faith that sometimes there is only one right answer. 

And I have it written down in my logbook. 

4 comments:

  1. “Of course whenever you I order yarn you I have to order enough to get free shipping. Am I right?“. ...Abso-flipping-lutely you are right...waste valuable money on postage when that could be yarn? That would be crazy 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of COURSE you have to order enough yarn to get free shipping. That is what I attribute my large closet full of yarn on. Funny though... when I'm feeling badly about how much money I've spent on yarn over the years, I never console myself that it didn't cost a penny to ship it.

    I think there's a lesson in there...

    This post was hilarious, BTW. #^D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of yarn in my house, technically most of it is my daughter's. Not sure she's going to take it back anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is plenty of yarn in our house too. I cant anything as there is a lot of quilting fabric in my corner haha.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.