Wednesday, April 21, 2021

R is for Rainbow Pride

A to Z(ed) blogging Challenge - (my) Life in the TIme of CoVid-19  

R is for Rainbow Pride


If you read my F is for Fleece post you will remember I was involved in two spinning challenges last year.  I won some beautiful rainbow fibre during the July challenge, and so during the September challenge I began to spin it.  I decided to spin the fibre in repeating lines of colour and so I would pull off a small piece of each of the colours and then spin them in order.  I wanted quite a long colour change, To preserve the colours I chain plied it at the end so I could control where the colour changes happened.  If you are not a spinner this will be all nonsense to you, but trust me it was a good plan, and for the most part it worked. 


 

Part of the fun of the challenges was joining a team (or two) on Ravelry, and of course I joined the Canadian spinners, but I also joined the Queer Revelry group.  They were encouraging and chatty and welcomed me as a proud parent of a queer child. 

The spin took me a g e s!  I did not finished it during the second challenge.  In fact looking back at my notes I see it took me until December 30th, 2020 to finish it and that was only because I was involved in a yardage challenge elsewhere on Ravelry and I needed to spin more to make the yardage I had committed for 2020!  




In January I had decided on a pattern to use with the rainbow pride yarn.  Being a bit of a math nerd I chose a sock pattern made up of equilateral triangles.  I have made this sock pattern before so I am not as crazy as I sound.  



I was very pleased with the results - and once, after the pandemic, when Pride Parades are again allowed I will wear them...with Pride!  Until then I hope when people see my socks they will recognize an ally.  An ally that can spin and knit the rainbow!  This post is for you dear daughter, and my grand-nibling. and all those in the LGBTQ community.  




2 comments:

  1. These are a great pair of Pride socks and incredible how you spun them as a rainbow stripe. I seemed to have missed hat post if you posted about it during tour de fleece. A brilliant idea for a great cause close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of a rainbow! 🧢🌈
    I like that the socks look slightly different from each other. Just enough to make them extra special and not store-bought.

    J Lenni Dorner~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.