Saturday, April 17, 2021

O is for Online Shopping

 A to Z(ed) blogging Challenge - (my) Life in the TIme of CoVid-19

O is for Online Shopping


Until CoVid-19 disrupted all our lives I didn't do much online shopping.  I did order a vitamin that I couldn't get in Canada anymore since one of the dumb bills was passed that the supplement I take 1000mg of per day was only allowed to be sold in Canada in 10mg capsules.  I also have ordered yarn for a company in the next province over from mine, and sometimes even from a yarn company in England when I was making my grand-daughters tree of life blanket and couldn't get the perfect yarn locally.  

However all that changed at the end of February 2020.  The first thing I ordered was a fitbit.  I wanted one that would track my heart rate since all my appointments and tests had started with my heart.  

That was followed my my buying a pair of wireless ear buds because I was tired of walking around and catching the wires of my ear buds on door handles.  

After that all bets were off.  (Plus I discovered having Amazon Prime for free shipping gave me access to Amazon's Prime streaming service).  

Since the pandemic began I have order underwear, wart cream, pen refills, and suncream.  

In the fall I was getting tired of walking in the pouring rain and so a friend told me about mountain wearhouse so I ordered a raincoat and rainpants which made my fall and winter walks much more pleasant. 

I ordered more vitamins and supplements online.  

And yes...more wool.  Wool to make my daughter a sweater.  Wool to make my creche.  Wool to make two more blankets.  Wool to make socks. And most recently I ordered some knitting needles and to get the free shipping four more skeins of sock yarn. 

I have ordered safety eyes for the woolen toys I have made, and at one point not feeling like I had nearly enough stitch markers I order 100 of them.  100!

We order our groceries online and pick them up curbside.  We order from our local Canadian Tire, and local Vitamin Store, and local Drug Store all for curb-side pickup.  I even bought a cute skort online last summer not too mention t-shirts, masks, and beanies. 

So yes, because of the pandemic I have become an online shopper. I have never liked shopping or going into shops so I likely will never go back to personal shopping unless I have no choice.  

For now I have choice.

How about you?  Have you shopped online more since Covid-19?  Will you continue?

6 comments:

  1. I have never enjoyed shopping, I used to go in a shop, see something I liked and if it fit buy it in every colour and that would do me for the year. Online I still don’t buy much, although I did just get myself a new winter coat in the sale as I accidentally tore my older long length one and my sewing repair looks a mess. Even with knitting I’m still a little in the mindset of buy one pattern and make it in different colours. Thus me having 2 Turtle Doves (red and purple), I’ve bought yarn for a 2nd Fine Sand and a 2nd Such a Winter’s Day and have 2 lots of Aran undyed yarn to dye and the plan was to make a 2nd and 3rd Quick Sand. I can’t see me needing any new clothes the rest of this year but our shops have been closed 4 months and still aren’t open yet so online has been the only choice if you need things not sold in ‘essential shops’...ie food shops and chemists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your online shopping journey made me smile.
    I am a bit of an impulsive person, so I have to be cautious how many items I put into my cart.
    Also I find online shopping deceiving. Things look shinier on the internet than when they arrive in reality. At least that's what happened to me in terms of clothes. Also I like to try them on, so I'd rather visit a shop, find out whether it fits me than being forced to re-pack it, bring it to the post office, and end up paying twice for shipping.

    PS: what on earth are you taking 1g of? Meaning you'd require 100 times 10mg?

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2021/04/a-z-2021-odds-are-one-in-million.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glutathion. A cell regenerator . I have been taking it since being diagnosed with CLL and my white cell count has been normal for years so I am not going to mess with success.I think now I can buy it in canada at 50g pills, but that is still 20 capsules rather than the 2 I take.

      Delete
  3. I do miss the interactions I have in offline shopping, but since more than a decade, I have surrendered lazily to online shopping. From electronic devices, clothes, milk or groceries, everything has gone online for me much before Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha we chose the same topic for O and I'm definitely an online shopper and will probably remain so for many things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like looking in little shops but big shops, I hate. Online shopping is definitely my preference and is destined to continue far beyond lockdown!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.