Monday, November 11, 2019

November 11 - I will remember

My husband and I went to the cenotaph this morning.  We had to park quite far away and what with my hip and his knee we walked slowly through the fall leaves.  As we got closer we could hear the beautiful voices of the choir singing before the ceremony started.  They sounded like angels.

There were so many people there from the littlest of babies tucked up into snugglies on their mother or father's chest to the elders in their electric scooters.  As we settled into a place to stand the pipers started to play and the veterans/soldiers/cadets/mounties/police/scouts and others marched in.  I was very near tears. 

When the ceremony was over the parade started and it turned out we were standing right where everyone was going to march past.  I felt so fortunate to be there. 

As is my tradition I laid three poppies on the cenotaph after the crowds had dispersed..  One for my mother, one for my father and one for my uncle all who served in WWII.  I had been  blessed in 2004 to accompany my uncle to Italy with other veterans of the Italian Campaign and I must admit I had a little chuckle as the last post was played on the trumpet because he told me a little jingle he used to say to remember the tune.  It is quite irreverent so I will leave that between him and me. 

It was moving to stand in that crowd singing our national anthem, and responding to the different prayers.  It was lovely to hear a new rendition from the choir of Flanders Fields. 

I am just so very grateful.

I will remember.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that, Mary-Anne. I am moved just by your description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to get there.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.