Saturday, November 2, 2019

November 2 - The purpose of life

This is a question I have been asking myself a lot lately.  The death of a dear friend last month hit me very hard.  He was so young and I kept asking myself what the point of it all was. 

Today as my 12 step meeting was about to start I received a message from a member of the group announcing the birth of his first child. 

I read the announcement out to the group and stated that perhaps the point of it all was simply Love.

A new child brings such joy and hope.  And love. 

It was a good meeting and once home I decided to tackle more branches and vines that were piled on the front lawn.  Between the two of us, and my husband's new chain saw, we bagged up five more containers for the compost.  The job isn't done yet, and my back isn't too happy at the moment, but still it feels good to get something done.  And besides I finally found my favourite shears which makes the job of cutting up all the vines so much easier. 

Then just before starting this blog post I came across this from a friend on facebook:

Note to Self

"What is my purpose in life?"  I asked the void.

"What if I told you that you fulfilled it when you took an extra hour to talk to that kid about his life?"  said the voice.

"Or when you paid for that young couple in the restaurant? Or when you saved that dog in traffic?  Or when you tied your father's shoes for him?"

"Your problem is that you equate your purpose with goal-based achievement.  The Universe isn't interested in your achievements...just your heart.  When you choose to act out of kindness, compassion and love, you are already aligned with your true purpose. 

No need to look any further!"

Are you listening, Mary-Anne?  

Yes. 


2 comments:

  1. Love this post. While my purpose in life is found in the context of my relationship with my Creator, all these things certainly fit within that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're listening. It's good advice. Hope your back is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.