Thursday, November 7, 2019

November 7 - Unravelling

I am knitting a shawl which involves unraveling two stitches every 12 rows.  It goes against everything a knitter has been taught to allow a dropped stitch to unravel. 

It is fun though.  I look forward to those rows, and I suppose one could say that art is imitating life. 

When I drop the stitch, because of the yarn I am using, it doesn't unravel on its own.  The stitch needs help with a push and pull on every row as it ladders down.  The fabric is stable on either side of the dropped stitch so it doesn't lose its integrity. 

I am going to enjoy wearing this shawl.  It will remind me that even though I have moments, days, and sometimes weeks of dropping stitches of my life that doesn't have to mean that things have to completely unravel. 

It can, if I let it. 

However, I have the tools, and the support around me to stop the unraveling, and perhaps even pick that stitch up and get it back on the needles to carry on. 




3 comments:

  1. The shawl is looking qood and that's a great analogy you quoted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really interesting. Does the unraveled stitch travel all the way down to the first row? I love your life-application. It is very true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the colours, technique, and what the other ladies noticed.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.